Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever purchased something, from anywhere, and lived to regret it?

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I regret purchasing tons of shoes, bags and clothes in the past!  What nonsense and such a waste of money!  I thought I had to have all of these things.  At the point in life I was in, I thought these things were "necessary" to make me look great for work and for social.  Now that I'm retired and older, I see how dumb I was!  Well, any how --- I still make purchases now and then --- to a much smaller degree -- that turned out to be not that great.  However, I think purchases over much more carefully now.  I have found that if I decided to buy a cheaper item, I usually do regret it, and end up getting the one I really wanted to begin with!  

@AngelPuppy1  If you could afford the purchases at the time and you DID feel good wearing them,  it's unfair to judge what you did years  ago when you were working, based on where you are today.  As long as you didn't spend the money you didn't have and were still able to save,  sometimes those extras do make us happy and enjoy where we are at the time.  I'm still working.  I have accumulated more than i need over the many years,  but have bought quality things so I'm still using handbags and wearing sweaters and skirts from DECADES ago.  I don't regret buying any of them.  I have curtailed what I'm spending now,  but have enjoyed my purchases throughout my current working life. 

Respected Contributor

I have a few regrets but can honestly say that none of them have to do with material things.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Oh yes, I definitely have regrets..When I was new to QVC, I worked in an office of about 10 women, and we all got along very well and had a lot of fun together, well anyway 3 of the ladies were huge QVC shoppers, and would come in constantly talking about what they purchased and how much they loved it, and it was usually cosmetics, handbags and Valerie Parr hill items.

So what did I do? I started watching QVC and ordering up a storm, I had so much makeup, between Mally, Smashbox, and BE it was crazy! Plus I was impulse shopping.....After about a year of this, I finally came to my senses, and stopped impulse shopping! I just got caught up in it all, and since QVC was new to me, I was having fun ordering all of this stuff, and waiting for it to arrive, and the excitement of opening the boxes.......lol!

Now I am a much better shopper, I really think about purchases before purchasing them.......I rarely impulse buy now...But I really regretted buying all of that makeup, because even though I love Makeup, you can use so much.......Lesson learned! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden : thanks for the free diagnosis of my "addiction" Worth what I paid you for it, LOL!

Honored Contributor

My bad purchases are usually returned.  When I purchase, I usually research first.  

I did but a set of Ralph Lauren sheets on amazon several years ago when I couldn't find anything I liked at Marshalls.  When the sheets were washed and dried, they were horribly wrinkled!  They're very comfortable though and a favorite. (I'm not about to iron sheets!).Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@Allegheny  Sounds interesting - care to share and teach us what's not to buy & why?

Car - Van - Truck - Foreign - Domestic (made) ????

All expensive 'investment"...........................

@fthunt  It didn't have anything to do with things like that.   One vehicle was an impulse purchase during a sort of down period in my life. 

The other was "the vehicle you've been wanting for years".  A Jeep Wrangler.  I got over that pretty quickly.  It was rough riding; a gas guzzler with no power to show for all that gas usage;  was cold in the winter, and I didn't find it that great in the snow.  At least I got a decent amount when I traded it in.

Respected Contributor

I bought the Cubbi on the Q when it was the Today's Special Value. It didn't work for me and I sent it back. My account still has not been credited. I walk every day. That is the only exercise I can do. 

Esteemed Contributor

My regret is I’ve bought clothes and never wore it. I hate when I do that.

Respected Contributor

We all have done this but for me it depends if I am making an expensive purchase I will read reviews, check prices out on line. There are times if the washer breaks or hot water heater then we got to decide fast. Bath & Body after Christmas sale got to me, I have a year supply of soap & candles but i use that everyday. Being retired I don't need as much and decluttering my closets. I like to be organized.

Honored Contributor

Yes, when I see fashions in the closet with the tags still on and they are years old. I also had to have a farm sink when we remodeled our basement and put in a summer kitchen. That sink was so expensive and a big waste of space, looks great though.