Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever had a music box, or jewelry box with a little ballerina in it?That danced?

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

Some music just came on and it made me think about the old jewelry boxes with the dancing ballerina in the top part in front of a little mirror. I didn't have one, but thought they were neat.

Did you have one?

Hi @qualitygal!

Yes, I had -2- and loved them.  When cleaning out my parents house a few years ago I found them in a chest.  They looked brand new...Because I took such good care of them.  I recently passed -1- of the jewelry boxes down to my Great Niece who is 2 1/2 yrs old...Her parents loved it!  It is at least 53 yrs old and still works and looks beautiful.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever had a music box, or jewelry box with a little ballerina in it?That danced?

@sue bee wrote:

Yes I did. I think it played Somewhere My Love from Dr. Zhivago.

We must be(e) about the same age.  Mine didn't have the ballerina and it was a pretty simple design -- but it did play Lara's Theme.  I still have it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I do not remember what mine played.

I do remember one of my 1st treasures in it was a Swiss watch, bought in Zurich by a dear friend of my Moms, I was maybe 8 at the time and still have it till this day.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Yes,  I did indeed have one of those.  I think I was 8 or 9 and my Great Aunt Bea gave it to me for my birthday with a little bottle of perfume.  I remember I felt so grown up and that jewelry box held all my treasures and secrets because it had a little secret compartment.

Respected Contributor

My jewelry box was not like this, nonetheless, this thread is timely for me.  We have a 4 yr old very-girly granddaughter, and, while Christmas shopping on Amazon, I've been looking at musical ballerina jewelry boxes to fill for her.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes ... as a matter of fact I have a music box on my dresser ... inlaid blond wood with flowers ... it plays Invitation to the Dance.   It was given to me many years ago by a dear friend.   I think of her every time I wind it ... she has alzheimer's disease now.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I had one that played "Where Do I Begin?"  from "Love Story".

Me too!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A very loved Aunt gave me a music box that had gorgeous shells and flowers in it.  It played " Raindrops Keep Falling..."

After she passed, I was feeling down one day.  As I dusted a shelf in my home office, I picked it up:  Instead of it playing a note or two, it played the entire song.  Neither DH nor I had ever wound it up.     What a wonderful gift that day !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I did have one of the ballerina boxes when young. In my 20s I bought myself a lacquered Swiss movement music box with a ballet scene on the lid that played music from Swan Lake. It sounded lovely.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I had the while box with the ballarina that spun around while a tune played. Lined with pink satin fabric.  My sister and I both got one the same Christmas.  I can't remember what the music was - except it was tinkling.  We also received Tinkerbell cologne and nail polish that year.