Esteemed Contributor

Just got a call from my charge card. 3 companies in Colorado which I never knew of on line. I told them QVC I heard of and ordered 3 items--clothes. Haven't got them yet. Years ago my son had a huge list from all over so cal. It took awhile to straight it out. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Have you ever been hacked?

Yes and I think it was a co-worker that did it (even though I could not prove it)....I ordered an item from Walmart "ship to store" and she wanted to see it so I sent her a copy of the item via email and when I went to Walmart to pick-up the item discovered someone advanced my card $200. Of course this took place on a holiday weekend and I had to shut down my debit card. I assumed responsibility because maybe my information was somewhere in that email link...Thank goodness the bank credited my account!

Esteemed Contributor

How unsettling for you.  Hope the credit card company froze it and will issue a new one.  I had to do that a couple of times.

Honored Contributor

Twice I have gotten calls from my bank that my card has been used for large on line purchases and I still had it in my posession

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Yes at least 3 times. May have been 4. Can't remember for sure. LOL!!! First time someone ripped off my Discover # after my brothers funeral at the funeral home???

We were taking things out to the car from the funeral home where they had a room set up about him. Someone got in my purse during this time. It was the only time it was not with me. Sad but True.

They paid their electric bill with it, went to restaurants & paid using the # but no card??? Someone at these restaurants had to be in on it with the person that stole it.

Nothing happened to the thief which makes my blood boil. I told Discover I wanted the persons name & they asked why so I told them so I could take a ball bat to them. LOL!!! They said well I don't know about that but if you want the persons name you have to go to court to get it.

Last time someone used my Visa I caught them right when they started using it. I saw charges on it when I got online to check my account.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Twice I have gotten calls from my bank that my card has been used for large on line purchases and I still had it in my posession

@I am still oxox

That's what happened to me. I also got a call from Visa one day someone was in New Jersey was buying some type of steel. LOL!!! Never been to Jersey. Don't need any steel. It was for over $4000.

I asked since this is happening right now why don't you call the police so they can arrest this person. Nothing was done. So ridiculous. That's why these people keep doing it. They know nothing will happen.

As long as you are in possession of your card you & your bank are not out any money. It's the business that let them charge these things without the card that are at a loss. Costs too much for them to go after the criminals or that's what I was told by Discover Fraud Dept.

Respected Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

Yes and I think it was a co-worker that did it (even though I could not prove it)....I ordered an item from Walmart "ship to store" and she wanted to see it so I sent her a copy of the item via email and when I went to Walmart to pick-up the item discovered someone advanced my card $200. Of course this took place on a holiday weekend and I had to shut down my debit card. I assumed responsibility because maybe my information was somewhere in that email link...Thank goodness the bank credited my account!

I have never had a credit card number appear in a confirmation email.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This has happened to me a couple of times.  The last time someone charged about $400 worth of gift cards at Starbucks.  I assume it was gift cards since it was that amount of money.  As the credit card company was cancelling my card with me on the phone, they were trying to charge again.  The only other time it's happened was many years before.

I wouldn't say my credit card was "hacked" though.  I think of a whole system as being hacked.  I would say my credit card was compromised.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

No.   Actually, I do not know a single person who has ever been "hacked".  If they have been, they haven't told me.  People use "hack" to mean a variety of things.  So, I'm sure we are talking about here.   My friends 90 year old aunt did have a problem with her CC's.  Her housekeeper shops for her and pays her bills and the houskeeper was in the habit of buying things for herself.  The charges probably went from insigificant to very significant and that's when the 90 year old lady caught on.  That's not hacking to me, that's just garden variety theft.  

Respected Contributor

More than once.  Last time I was having lunch in a restaurant in N. VA and paid by VISA.  Got home to a msg left on my voicemail - we are freezing your card due to suspected fraud.  Ten minutes after I paid my lunch bill, there was a charge for a train ticket bought at a train station in Kuala Lumpur.  No way one can be in those two places 10 minutes apart - and they automatically removed the train ticket bc my charges are almost always in N. VA.