Honored Contributor

Re: Have you ever been hacked?

Spurt,

I shred everything and anything, into cross cut pieces. How this happened with car insurance possible hack is beyond me. Have been cutting up everything for many years. Our mail is delivered to a locked mail box area, unless the mail man put our mail into the wrong mail box which can happen and has happened here.

dh and i were thinking that it may have been our ex son in law, he was a de vil in disguise and did anything to torment people. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

One other thing I have done is to go into each account and set up the alert.  It is free and you get an email with minutes of activity.

Just now my phone let me know that, yes indeed, i did drop $66 at Safeway.  Thank goodness it does not remind me how many calories that is.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no DEBIT cards.  I don't trust them.  I have two credit cards with amazing fraud protection.  I also pay for Lifelock. 

Any problems so far they have been way ahead of the game. 

Everyone is vulnerable but I do the best I can protecting myself and or getting someone to help me.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I have no DEBIT cards.  I don't trust them.  I have two credit cards with amazing fraud protection.  I also pay for Lifelock. 

Any problems so far they have been way ahead of the game. 

Everyone is vulnerable but I do the best I can protecting myself and or getting someone to help me.

I'm the opposite, I feel 100% safer with a debit card than a credit card.  That's why I do 90% of my shopping with a debit card now.  Hubby too.  We only use our cc's for big purchases.  Our debit cards are bank issued and have MC or Visa logos so they are just as safe as any credit card but we have the added assurance that if someone should hack that card, they can only get the money that is on the card.  That can't rack up thousands, they can't clean us out.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I used to carry a store branded Mastercard.  There are only two places I used it, the store it was for/from and one other place that didn't take American Express.  When my statement arrived one month there were two charges that I knew weren't mine, made in another state.  I can't recall if they were in person or online.  Anyway, I called the cc company and they took care of everything.  

Honored Contributor

I've had my CC compromised twice on Amazon, not an 'Amazon' purchases, but by 'outside sellers' on Amazon.

I didn't know until I received my CC statement, with $700 worth of tires in Texas, I live in GA and have never even been to Texas.

I don't remember what the second one was, but I no longer order anything from Amazon 'sellers', unless it's actually sold and shipped by Amazon.

I did report to breach by these 2 sellers to Amazon, but don't know if Amazon got rid of them or not.

This CC had not been used anywhere for over a month or 2, so I know that's where the breach originated.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Yes, from a gas pump. I think the gas pump had a skimmer on it. (only placed I had used my debit)

Now I only pay $ at the pump. The person tried to buy stuff on-line with it. (2 times)

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we have been. It was our savings account, it wasn't a lot of money and the bank did make it right. I try to check my bank accounts online every morning now.