Trusted Contributor

Thinking about becoming an online travel agent.....need advice, please!

I have a part-time job outside of my home, but it is only 2 days a week.  I really need more income, but my mom has had a lot of health issues the last few years, and now she goes to dialysis 3 days a week as well as sever doctor's appointments.  It would be very difficult for me to find another job that would be willing to work around my schedule helping my mom and getting her to her appointments.

I've been considering becoming an online travel agent.  I know nothing about it, but my niece's husband's cousin owns a travel agency.  I talked to her last night, and she explained to me how her business used to be a brick and mortar company, but because of the ever changing times, it has become online only.  She gave me a lot of information, but as with any other job, it would take awhile to really learn it and feel comfortable with it.

She also explained to me how my income would work if I were to go to work for her and her company.  Most wholesalers offer a 10% commission for booking one of their travel packages.  Out of that 10%, I would get 60%, and the company would get 40%.

I'm very interested in pursuing this online career, but as I said, I know nothing about it.  Can anyone give me any advice?  Is anyone here an online travel agent?  Is it profitable?  Is it easy enough to learn?  Would I be better off working for myself or for a company that would be available to help me with any problems I might run into?  

Any experience/thoughts/adivce/recommendations would be very much appreciated!  TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thinking about becoming an online travel agent.....need advice, please!

Most travel agents take advantage of tours/ships/packages offered to them so that they can offer in depth advice to their clients.  It sounds as if your situation would preclude you from doing this.  I frequently use a travel agent, and if my agent didn't have this in depth knowledge, I wouldn't use him/her.

Honored Contributor

@Sue98  I have a cousin who does this on the side.  She has a full time job and two ailing parents as well. I believe she does work for someone and is not independent.   I don't know much about it but she has been successful for several years now.

I will tell you the advice about being knowledgable is very true in her case.  She knows all things Disney and caters to that specific group.  If you know a hot tourist spot inside and out, you'll do well if you can reach those people in their travel groups.  

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 What an interesting job that would be! I wish you luck.

You might also post here on the Travel Forum. I am sure many of our regular posters would have some thoughts, advice, and recommendations. I know several of them have used online travel agents, so they may give you some tips on what they like about the people they have used and what they don't like. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Sue98, the only legitimate advice I can offer is in regard to this part of your post:  Would I be better off working for myself or for a company that would be available to help me with any problems I might run into?  

Based on your complete lack of knowledge about this industry if you decide to pursue it working for a company until you have an area of expertise would be imperative.  Working with someone you know that has the patience to guide you would be an additional benefit if your relationship and communications are strong enough to survive the bumps that most assuredly will arise.

Good luck in your endeavor.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sue98 I know a woman with a full-time job and two part-time jobs and a one-year-old who does this. I say go for it and good luck!

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Sue 98 , Are you supposed to find your own clients or man a phone at a established business?   I have a friend who bought into a franchise and after two years still hasn't made a sale.

Trusted Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Sue 98 , Are you supposed to find your own clients or man a phone at a established business?   I have a friend who bought into a franchise and after two years still hasn't made a sale.

Yes, as I understand it, I will be responsible for finding my own clients.  Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

WOW I Would LOVE To have this type of job.  I love to travel and cruise.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Yes, as I understand it, I will be responsible for finding my own clients.  Smiley Sad

Would that mean you have to constantly contact your circle of friends (like pyramid selling)?  Only you can answer if you are comfortable doing that.  Best of luck to you and blessings for taking care of your Mother.