Honored Contributor

Re: Hatch Chilis

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee.  Chile likes hot, dry growing conditions.  It rots if it gets too much rain.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

DH and I like them both..Pueblo and Hatch...I only make green chili...we aren’t fond of red..AND the hotter the better!..We lean more toward the Hatch though..we’ll see what the Walmart here is roasting this year...In past years it’s only been Hatch....DW

Honored Contributor

I AM SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS!!!!!!!  I'm Hatch Happy for sure.  Roasted 25 pounds one time!  I buy them roasted now!

Respected Contributor

I used to roast my own on the stove burners. I got tired of the  soot all over the kitchen so was delighted when gelsons held an annual roasting.

Trusted Contributor

@hennypenny  We used to roast our own too on our bbq grill.  Lots of work especially if it’s a warm day...our Walmart charges the same for a case of roasted as they do for unroasted...it’s so much easier to have them do it.  Enjoy ....DW

Valued Contributor

I just wanted to shout out to you @dancingwoman .  I grew up in Durango, moved there in '72, when I was in the third grade.

I just drove home last Saturday after spending the week there with the family and attending to some business.

I picked up a case of green chile from Gary at the Diner.  He's been there since '73, I think he once told me. 

I opened the first jar in the case while reading the thread.  It's good stuff.

Also popped in to see Patty and check in on the family at Griego's.  She was a couple of years ahead of me at school.  Their green chile has always been aces.  I had a frito pie, half red and half green, while I was there.

I remember when Griego's was a small drive-in, down from Smiley Jr. High, which was on Third Avenue.  The building is a school admin. building now.

I'm sorry Francisco's isn't what it was.  I went to school with Teddy.  That was a bad deal.  Loved their food.

Anyway, I had to comment on any thread that mentions Durango and green chile.  Thanks for starting the thread.  Lots of changes in Durango but the chile still calls me home.  Well, that and my family.  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

What do they taste like?

Are they hot?

Do they set your mouth on fire?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Never heard of this “roasting Chilis”.........from Washington State here.... 

Valued Contributor

Re: Hatch Chilis

[ Edited ]

Love the smell of hatch chiles as they are roasting. Makes my mouth water just to think about it. My grandfather was the one who always made the chile. Both he and my grandmother were born an raised in Dona Ana, Mesilla, New Mexico. 

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819  usually the cases of chili’s are marked hot..medium....mild...i think it depends on the growing season and the weather conditions etc...some years mediums aren’t very warm...others seasons they are hot hot...I just get cases of hots..DW