Honored Contributor

What do you think of this quote?

I don't care for this one:  It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission.

Something about this bothers me.  I heard it once a long time ago, then someone said it on a t.v. show the other day.  

I like the word compromise or discussion vs. either of the above.  If you show manners in asking permission, that's one thing.  But in the sentence context it's like royality getting asked permission from the butler.  I guess that's it.  

Or it's like to do something bad, then ask for forgiveness, since you won't be asking anyone's permission to do the bad deed.  That's more like I feel the meaning is.  Like I just robbed the bank, please forgive me.  

Do you have one quote, you don't really care for?  

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think of this quote?

I HATE when people say "HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE".   I find that very belittling, patronizing, and somewhat mocking.  

A marriage is a partnership where the happiness of both people is important.  This almost says ....  if "SHE" is not happy, there will be hell to pay.     That's not the message I personally want to send.

Honored Contributor

Quotes are like anything else, some funny, some sad, some cute, some prophetic, some true some not so true.

I would not put to much store in any of them, let alone get upset over any of them.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Quotes are like anything else, some funny, some sad, some cute, some prophetic, some true some not so true.

I would not put to much store in any of them, let alone get upset over any of them.  

Agreed!

Honored Contributor

I think a lot of quotes can be annoying because we don't relate to them at the time or ever.

They were made up by someone who felt they meant something to them at the time.

Though many are meant to be relatable to many, I find they probably were personable to that person who made it up or only to a group going thru similar feelings or situations at the time.

Many are just too pat, too clever, too black and white or judgemental for me to relate to. Every person and situation is so different and so fluid you can't always put it in a nice neat quote.

Of course there are some I do like but most are just annoying.

For example, if someone is going thru a hard time, say they just lost someone they love, or a terrible diagnosis, and someone comes along with "Life is good!" or some kind of Pollyanna quote, I don't think that is very uplifting.

Life is not always good. Good for that person who has enough at that time in their life, but not to the person who does not.

Words from your own heart often mean a lot more than any quotes you can find.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

When I hear people say..."At the end of the day" Like chalk on a blackboard. Very annoying and makes no sense at all.Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

Well, I hate when 3 hours into a story, someone says "to make a long store short"...

Honored Contributor

@on the bay   I agree with your comments....especially "words coming from your own heart".  I always struggle with posters who have just lost their pets and in so much pain.  I can relate and words seem so meaningless and a quote would just not be appropriate.  But once in awhile a quote can be motivating or cause reflection and I appreciate that...so I guess it is discrimination and choosing words selectively.  Pat phrases randomly thrown about can be annoying at best and insensitive at worse.

I do like your quote at the bottom of your contributions.  I usually read them because they generally are a reflection of the poster.

Respected Contributor

RE:   "HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE".   I find that very belittling, patronizing, and somewhat mocking.  

@nyc1   That goes hand-in-hand with, "If {She} isn't happy, ain't NOBODY happy."  I guess that's supposed to be funny, but it makes {She} look like a real witch.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

What do you think of this one?  It's my own.

“Sometimes you have to stir up the waters, then let the silt settle, before you can see things clearly.”

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.