Trusted Contributor

Re: Happy First Day of Winter

[ Edited ]

solstice.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thousands will gather at Stonehenge tomorrow morning for sunrise (8;09 am), marking the end of the longest night of the year.  The site opens at 6 am.  It must be a joyous occasion!

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thousands will gather at Stonehenge tomorrow morning for sunrise (8;09 am), marking the end of the longest night of the year.  The site opens at 6 am.  It must be a joyous occasion.

I didn't know that, thanks for sharing!! 

Honored Contributor

@avid shopper, w/o copying the picture, I think that's cool!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thousands will gather at Stonehenge tomorrow morning for sunrise (8;09 am), marking the end of the longest night of the year.  The site opens at 6 am.  It must be a joyous occasion!

Yes, it's a celebration for those that are Wiccan I believe. 

Have mind winters here in S. CA so I don't know about all the snowfall in other parts of the nation. 

LOVE ROSES, not the lower case loves roses. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I love winter!  Smiley Happy    But we've been having highs in the 60s lately.  That's one for the books!  Only had one measurable snow over a week ago.  Hoping for cold temps to come back.

Like you said, also, now the daylight will start getting longer after today, little by little.    What I have been noticing this year is that I could swear we ended up with it getting dark around 4pm by now and this year it didn't get earlier than a little after 4:30.   Curious, that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There will be a rare winter solstice full moon tonight!  Not going to be another until 2094!

....and there is also a meteor shower to coincide...wow!

eta - Not only a full moon, but a SUPERMOON.

Honored Contributor

Here's a picture from this morning: the sun rising after the longest night of the year.

wintersolstice.jpg