Honored Contributor

Re: Hand-Washing: 20 Seconds⏱

@Sooner wrote:

I just "washed" my hands and timed it and yes, it takes 20 seconds to get down between every finger and to scrub each finger effectively.  At least 20 seconds. . . 

@sidsmom Interesting article.  Thanks for posting.

@Sooner 

The link to the USAToday article has some interactive-type of things

which might interest you, as well.  Good visuals. 

Esteemed Contributor

I keep the Lysol wipes in car, in purse and home.  I wipe door knobs,  TV remotes, computer keys, cell, landline, and wash hand singing HAPPY Birthday twice.   Wild my counters all the time.  Shoes off in-house from outdoor.  Wild dog,s paws, or wash them after walk.  Not a germaphoic, but a neat freak.

I do remember years ago we never worried or thought about this.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we go to Disney, we make more than an extra effort to wash our hands and try to not touch as much as possible- we both have had the worse colds from down there.  After being in the medical profession, my hands would be cracked and dried but I knew I'd done proper protocol for hand washing- I like to pretend I'm washing for surgery and mock the surgeons scrubbing  their hands (silly yet it works for me).

Too bad more parents' don't teach their children to cover their mouths and not wipe their hands after wiping their noses on handles, bus seats and etc- have see that over and over. 

This year we'll be taking Lysol hand wipes, hand sanitizer and be really cautious of what we touch or don't touch.  I'm saying to you,  people don't pay attention to coughing or sneezing around others', it's disgusting.  I pray this will bring attention to those I speak of so they'll do better health hygiene.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

National Handwashing Awareness

Needs to Start Today...

Image result for hand washing 20 seconds

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wash my hands at least 30 seconds most of the time. I sing this song to myself (silently) 3 times, and it is 30+ seconds. I checked it with a timer.

A B C D E F G

H I J K L M N O P

Q.. R.. S.. T..U..V

W...X..Y.. and Z

Now I've said my ABC's

Tell me what you think of me

ETA: I have to put drops in my eyes, and was told by my doctor to wash my hands for 30 seconds before doing so.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Spurt 

I'm pretty good about washing throughout the day...

especially when I go to the gym.  I see people touch the weights

for an hour & then walk out without washing their hands.

Really skeeves me out!!

What I'm guilty of is touching my face.

That is something I'm mindfully trying to break that habit...

hard since North Texas is in the middle of Allergy Season!🤧

My Mom used to tuck a Kleenex into the bottom of her sleeve...

a pretty good idea I'm incorporating. I'm slowly turning into my Mom!

If I have a tissue, it forces me to use it instead of my hands. 

Moms are always right. 

#WashYourHands

#DontTouchYourFace

#EatMoreKale

🌿

Hee @sidsmom  and thanks for starting this thread!  I am blessed with a robust immune system but I am conscious of the fact that I could spread something I didn't even know I had so I bought hand sanitizer at the store earlier today (very busy aisle I must say) but then when I got home I burst out laughing as normally I wash my hands after I unpack and put groceries away (separate from meat/veggies) but I stood there for a minute wondering if I should wash my hands right then or wait until I have everything put away . . . yikes.

I just kept washing my hands until the kitchen was clear, that should do it for today.

Hiya @Spurt !

Honored Contributor

I wear gloves in walmart, shaking hands in church, if people don't like it they will have to just walk on, when I get home from walmart I hit the sink before I unload groceries.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I wear gloves in walmart, shaking hands in church, if people don't like it they will have to just walk on, when I get home from walmart I hit the sink before I unload groceries.

@SharkE  I never really gave it much thought as I figured whatever was on boxes/bottles/cans was still there when I got home (good news, I have seen several reports that this and other viruses do not live long on surfaces such as cardboard and most illnesses are transmitted via airborne particles) but again it made me stop and think and from now on I will wash my hands before and after coming home from grocery shopping.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Spurt 

I'm pretty good about washing throughout the day...

especially when I go to the gym.  I see people touch the weights

for an hour & then walk out without washing their hands.

Really skeeves me out!!

What I'm guilty of is touching my face.

That is something I'm mindfully trying to break that habit...

hard since North Texas is in the middle of Allergy Season!🤧

My Mom used to tuck a Kleenex into the bottom of her sleeve...

a pretty good idea I'm incorporating. I'm slowly turning into my Mom!

If I have a tissue, it forces me to use it instead of my hands. 

Moms are always right. 

#WashYourHands

#DontTouchYourFace

#EatMoreKale

🌿

Hee @sidsmom  and thanks for starting this thread!  I am blessed with a robust immune system but I am conscious of the fact that I could spread something I didn't even know I had so I bought hand sanitizer at the store earlier today (very busy aisle I must say) but then when I got home I burst out laughing as normally I wash my hands after I unpack and put groceries away (separate from meat/veggies) but I stood there for a minute wondering if I should wash my hands right then or wait until I have everything put away . . . yikes.

I just kept washing my hands until the kitchen was clear, that should do it for today.

Hiya @Spurt !

@momtochloe 

Hiya MTC....how's it going! Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Great reminder!  But there’s something important that’s been left off of the “When to Wash” list.  Hands should always be washed after handling money, which carries sooo many germs from everyone who’s touched it. This was drilled into me as a child, and I never forgot it.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett