Respected Contributor

I have never seen a drone in real life but I don't like the idea of a drone. Maybe if it could fly  a pizza here faster than a car or something.

Trusted Contributor

Re: HSN sells drones

[ Edited ]

I bought a small drone on Evine so we could see if our gutters are clear. We are at a stage where we no longer belong on a ladder and yet we have open gutters. We found a shop vac at Sears that has a long “hook” attachment that allows us to stand on the ground and yet be able to suck out the gunk in the gutters, then we flush them with the hose. But if there is a wet clog that won’t fully come out we have no way of knowing there is a problem or where the problem is located. This little drone can fly over the top of the gutters and take pictures so we can see if it is clear without the risk falling off a ladder in the process. The drone is very light-weight, so we cannot use it on a windy day, but otherwise it solved a problem for us.  We recently used it to check the roof for damage after a hail storm.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

That is fantastic havarti

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:
I can see where certain businesses might have a use for them, otherwise, you've got too much time on your hands!

So... you're taking time to read and post on a web forum that others have too much time on their hands because they have a drone instead of posting on a web forum? 

Many people have hobbies and as long as they aren't hurting anyone else with them, I'm not going to judge. I like knitting, reading, playing video games, painting my nails, and web forums. Other people like drones. No big deal. I had a boyfriend who spent hours making and flying RC airplanes, much like drones, and it was a lot of fun. (At least it was until he wanted to fly one too close to sunset and it crashed in a field of 4 foot tall weeds with all his expensive parts inside it. That was NOT fun.)

Have fun doing whatever you like doing, whether it's web forums, drone flying, makeup, yoga, collecting antiques, or whatever.

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I bought a small drone on Evine so we could see if our gutters are clear. We are at a stage where we no longer belong on a ladder and yet we have open gutters. We found a shop vac at Sears that has a long “hook” attachment that allows us to stand on the ground and yet be able to suck out the gunk in the gutters, then we flush them with the hose. But if there is a wet clog that won’t fully come out we have no way of knowing there is a problem or where the problem is located. This little drone can fly over the top of the gutters and take pictures so we can see if it is clear without the risk falling off a ladder in the process. The drone is very light-weight, so we cannot use it on a windy day, but otherwise it solved a problem for us.  We recently used it to check the roof for damage after a hail storm.

Genius! I love this idea.

Respected Contributor

I can see why some businesses would use them; I can see why law enforcement and news outlets would own them.  I can't see why an average Joe or Jane would want one....other than to aggrate, annoy and invade the privace of others.  No, I wouldn't buy one.  I have no use for one. 

Esteemed Contributor

ShopHQ/Evine has been selling them for over a year now. I received the drone I bought from Amazon over a week ago.

Got one with an HD camera and it takes great aerial video and pictures also. Takes some practice and skill to get good at it, and I ain't there yet for sure. Really tough when it is windy.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor
ChynnaBlue, I said that a little tongue in cheek. I'm sure there are people that like to play around with them just like the planes. I'm talking about the creepy, spy on your neighbor, up to no good type.
Honored Contributor

Drones shouldn't be sold to children, and should have a warning on the package to keep away from children, unless supervised by an adult.  Is there a law?  If not, there should be.  Children/teens/whatever can possibly fly drones into people's automobiles' windshields, therefore causing an accident.  I'm for drones being used in law enforcement (avoiding high-speed chases), for firefighters (to search for people in burning houses), for search and rescue, to oversee forests, making sure there aren't any fires, etc., etc. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Re: HSN sells drones

[ Edited ]

p.s.  If we aren't careful, we just might all be enclosed in our 'little boxes' (in our houses, without being able to keep our drapes/curtains open, etc.).  I forsee tons of drones flying around, looking in............not far-fetched if you really take a few minutes to think about it.............In fact, we might end up having to wear helmets while walking, so we won't be 'conked' in the head by a flying drone, manned by a child or someone who hasn't mastered flying one....................EDITED: To say: Yes, for wide-open spaces, as others here have described.   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).