Frequent Contributor

Re: HSN CREDIT CARD - BEWARE!

Hi All.  I'm sharing here what I posted today on the HSN thread which is where I first learned about this.

I took the opportunity to call Comenity Bank and spoke with a very helpful representative. I had a current balance of $125 on my Meijer card and I asked him what happens when I pay that $125 amount in full when I get my August statement (which I normally receive by the 17th of each month). He kindly informed me that I would be billed interest on my September statement for carrying the balance past the closing date. It’s referred to as “Trailing Interest” or “Residual Interest.” He also added that many companies are doing this, but the attention seems to be magnified because Comenity is one of the biggest to jump in.

Honestly, I could not get the big picture, so after I finished talking with the rep, I moved my remaining HSN flex pays to a different card, paid off my Comenity Meijer card and will no longer deal with them. This year was the time I decided to use my HSN store card for convenient flex pays on quite a few items, and now the bottom has fallen out of that convenience. Later, I started searching the web for more info and found some interesting articles that helped me better understand what the rep was saying.

Here’s an excerpt from an article that I found online that pretty much says what the customer rep I spoke to said:

“- Say you’ve been paying down a balance for several months and your credit card statement, dated the first of the month, says that your balance is now just $1,000.

– When you read that statement, you’re excited because you know that you have $1,000 in savings that you can use to pay down that balance.

– You send in your $1,000 check to the issuer on the fifth of the month, rejoicing in having finally paid off your credit card and hiding the card in a desk drawer.

– The issuer applies the payment to your account on the 10th of the month.

– Next month, you receive another statement saying that you currently hold a balance of $7.23.

– That $7.23 is residual interest. In this example, it is the amount of interest that was charged to your account between the first of the month and the 10th.

Even if you pay your credit card bills online you can be caught off guard by residual interest, Sherry says. Cardholders who access their account online to make sure their full payment has been received by the due date would see a zero balance, because the trailing interest isn’t added until the close of the subsequent billing cycle.”

So my understanding is that if my closing date is August 16 (which mine was) and I did not pay the current balance in full on that closing date, then on August 17 I just carried that balance over one day which starts the interest cycle and interest will continue to be added on with each day that passes. I monitored my HSN card everyday since that phone call and once that statement posted closed on the 16th, I paid it off. This whole thing is unbelievable and with all the different explanations for what it’s all about, I will continue to monitor these 2 cards until it’s all over (I hope) with my September statement.

Today, I received the email notifications that my statements were ready for HSN and Meijer and there are no interest charges on them. This is already 2 days after the closing date.

If you are interested in reading the full article that I took the excerpt from, search for “The ABCs of credit card residual interest.” This article is at creditcard (dot) com and was last updated June 17, 2016. Also, at the end of this article is a “See Related” paragraph with a link to 2 additional articles that might be of interest, though they are a bit older in date. (1) Common tricks and traps in the credit card fine print, and (2) Why interest charges remain after a card is ‘paid off’. Another article on a different site is: “Why Your Credit Card Isn’t Really Paid Off: How Residual Interest Works.” This article is dated April 27, 2016.

Honored Contributor

I just checked my HSN Aug statement & 0 interest. Same for July. This all makes no sense. I have always paid all my cards on time balance in full & have never been charged any interest from any of them??? Even those that have flexpay's or e-z pays. I never received any notification from Comenity if this is suppose to be something new. Nothing noted on my statements either.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I just checked my HSN Aug statement & 0 interest. Same for July. This all makes no sense. I have always paid all my cards on time balance in full & have never been charged any interest from any of them??? Even those that have flexpay's or e-z pays. I never received any notification from Comenity if this is suppose to be something new. Nothing noted on my statements either.

i came back to this thread to see if anyone DIDNT receive interest charges like me for this month. i have received no notifications from comenity either (in email or snail mail) that relates to this. no interest for me either and i have a number of flex pays for hsn.....old and new.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

Their “Notice to changes to your account terms” appeared on the online statement I received in May (with the payment due date of June 10, 2017).  I always download the statement for my files, check the transactions but I have never looked at the statement thru to the last page, which is where their announcement is strategically placed.  Those pages previously contained junk announcements, so I stopped looking at them.  Lesson learned.  Their changes went into effect on 07/07/2017. 

If this portion of their notice was posted earlier in this thread, I’ll just post it again here for convenience.  This is just part of it -

- IMPORTANT NOTICE - READ AND KEEP FOR YOUR RECORDS:  We are amending your Credit Card Account Agreement effective immediately to further explain the Grace Period.  Replace the first two bullets in the interest Charges part of “Section D.  Interest, fees and charges” (possibly called “Finance Charges”) with the following:

Interest Charges
  • Interest charges begin on a transaction, fee or interest from the day added to the daily balance and continue until the balance is paid in full.
  • There is a Grace Period on Regular Revolving Credit Plan purchases.  This means we will not charge interest on such purchases if you pay in full each billing period.
  • We will not charge interest on any portion of a payment allocated to the Regular Revolving Credit Plan that is paid within an applicable Grace Period.”- End

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@LadyAmara Thx for the info. I will go check out my May statement since I only went back thru June. My current Aug statement shows 0 interest year to date 2017.

I see my balance due which does not include 1 charge for Aug which was after their cut-off date. On my summary page on HSN it shows Due Aug so is this the amount I should add to my statement balance so they won't charge me interest?

All I know is the interest is almost 30% & no way in hello that I'm paying that. I don't even like paying 2 or 3%. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@LadyAmara

i do have that section on my may statement.

however, i did NOT receive any interest charges on my august statement and i DO have a number of flex pays on my account.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

@, it's not that clear to me just what the heck is going on.  From searching the internet, I have an understanding of the one possibility, but I can't even say for sure that it's correct.  From what I've read online at several websites and a few examples I've seen, it all has something to do with the closing statement date and when actual payment is made.

As I posted yesterday on the HSN thread, it all boils down to “wait and see.” There have been so many spins on just what the terms really mean and that’s why I’m going to monitor my account until I see my next statement.  Friday I called Comenity and asked if I owed any interest since I made my payment on the day the statement closed. The rep I spoke to put me on hold (my guess is she checked with a supervisor) and when she came back she said no. I wrote down her name / date and time of call and we shall see.

It’s all really sad and sneaky greedy! 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@LadyAmara

i do have that section on my may statement.

however, i did NOT receive any interest charges on my august statement and i DO have a number of flex pays on my account.

@sunshine45 I have plenty of Andrew Lessman flexpay's LOL!!!. I have not been charged any interest on my HSN card since I opened the account.

From what it says on the May statement sounds too me like they are charging you interest if you don't pay your balance in full. They have always done that.

Frequent Contributor

WOW! Sunshine45.  That's interesting that it doesn't appear on your statement.  Maybe it was before or after the notice appeared on my statement. 

Just keep a sharp eye on it.

Honored Contributor

@LadyAmara My statement closes on the 17th & the payment is do on the 12th. I always pay my balance on the 1st.

I'm just going to continue to pay may balance in full as I always have & see what happens. If I get charged any interest I will pay off my balance & never use Comenity Bank.