Honored Contributor

I can almost "see" all  the complaints on these boards....if I was a host.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

No.  Irregular schedule, seemingly long hours, demands made on physical 'beauty (someone mentioned a host having eyelid repair) and the constant barrage of criticism by viewers of their words, nails, hair, clothes, overall personalities, weight, eating habits, etc.

Job satisfaction and making a contribution to the better good trumps a big paycheck in my view.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It is not an easy job, lots of disadvantages.  I think the pressure to sell must be terrific.  However, I think the hosts must be very well paid because most left nice jobs to take the QVC position.  My worry would be how am I going to be effective and keep my job years down the road when I'm not so cute and bouncy.  TV favors the young and attractive. 

I agree @Kachina624 It's not an easy job, and we don't even see half of what they have to do (all the long meetings, vendor training sessions to learn about new products, sales quotas, etc.).  But it does seem to pay very well.  The first 5 years must be the most painful -- grave yard shift, and selling all sorts of [I'll just say, stuff]. 

However, they left "nice jobs" for a reason.  One host in particular has mentioned her Emmy awards; but if it was so good on the other side, why leave that profession in the first place?  I think there's always more to the story than what we see, or are told publicly.  Some probably didn't have their contracts renewed, some were burned out, some just wanted a change. As we've seen, it's definitely not for everyone, no matter what the QVC hiring manager thinks. 

Honored Contributor

@Steeler 20 wrote:

And where is Courtney Cason ?

@Steeler 20 Courtney Cason is dedicated to the Beauty iQ channel, the change was made a couple of months ago.  Right now, she's on vacation, according to her FB page.

Esteemed Contributor

No way.....retail is so demanding and only a few are really appreciated.....................and it would be hard for me to sell a product for hours on end on QVC....they have to talk about one product (TSV's) forever also...............and i have never been able to "lie" since in was a child.....if i got to a product i didn't believe in....i would mumble...hahaha...that is tha habit i have trying to fudge with the truth...i would be HORRIBLE.................worked in retail a few hours a day when my kids were in school and i couldn;t get back to my regular job hours as yet......worked with one of the higher end dept stores...went home EXHAUSTED being on your feet all day, etc....................always told my kids try to get a job you enjoy.....didn't have money be the objective and it has worked....and i am sure the QVC hosts make a really decent salary.....but work all different hours ...etc.

Not for me.

Respected Contributor

No way - there is nothing in the world I care enough about that I could just describe ad nauseum for the amount of time they spend on each item!

Esteemed Contributor

No way. I don't think I could find it in me to be that happy and energetic all the time. Plus I don't think I could blabber on for an hour at a time on the same products. My opinion is either you want it or you don't and that's it.

Also the long and inconsistent hours. I want Monday thru Friday, weekends and holidays off. Daytime hours. I don't do nights.

Honored Contributor

Well, if you look at occupations across the board, there are more millionaires in sales than any other occupation.

If you are drawn to SALES, you have high energy, and enjoy the challenge and the incentives that go along with it.  Some people are more ambitious than others ... this isn't new information.  Other people want a 9 to 5 job with little variance and a steady paycheck.  Nothing wrong with that, either.

Being in sales in front of the camera is exhausting and requires a lot more personal "maintenance" .....  can you even imagine someone doing close ups on a jewelry show with very messy nails and no manicure?  ugh