Esteemed Contributor

This is unbelievable - my local weatherman -

My local weatherman said that some people here have flown to FL to be with family members who would not leave!

YIKES!  Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

Re: This is unbelievable - my local weatherman -

I believe about half of what I hear on the news.  Besides it's very hard getting out of FL right now.   People are staying according to my friend. 

Honored Contributor

Wow!  Now see we're Italian.  

I did not go down and drag my mother and her husband up the peninsula.  Instead, I'm rather hoping she gets a really good scare out of it so she'll never do it again.

As she told me all the time growing up, "Go ahead.  You'll learn."

Honored Contributor

Just heard a couple who's headed to Florida this afternoon, not because someone wouldn't leave but because someone couldn't leave.  Fortunately they're headed to northern Florida on the west coast, but still -  there's danger involved. 

The reporter didn't ask why they were doing this today instead of earlier in the week.  That's my question -  they can  tie down a boat and store patio furniture tonight, but they certainly can't shop for food, water and gasoline.  Not much still available.

I do hope they are in one of the zones asked to shelter in place.  It's also late to try to evacuate with someone over 90 as well as four cats.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Just heard a couple who's headed to Florida this afternoon, not because someone wouldn't leave but because someone couldn't leave.  Fortunately they're headed to northern Florida on the west coast, but still -  there's danger involved. 

The reporter didn't ask why they were doing this today instead of earlier in the week.  That's my question -  they can  tie down a boat and store patio furniture tonight, but they certainly can't shop for food, water and gasoline.  Not much still available.

I do hope they are in one of the zones asked to shelter in place.  It's also late to try to evacuate with someone over 90 as well as four cats.

@millieshops  If they are west, that I really understand.  The forecast was all east coast for the most part for the really bad stuff and turned the entire state getting walloped just yesterday.  I have family in the panhandle and in Punta Gorda too.  I'm less worried about them than my mother in Central FL although their forecast keeps getting better.  

Esteemed Contributor

@GSPgirl  I agree but I didn't hear it on the news - he runs his meteorologist services online. He isn't affiliated with a TV station but has a ton of subscribers to his FB and his text alerts.....

Those are some brave souls!

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

My local weatherman said that some people here have flown to FL to be with family members who would not leave!

YIKES!  Woman Surprised

How did they even get a flight?

Esteemed Contributor

I am happy to see that most people took Irma seriously and left......

Honored Contributor

There's a part of me which...believes that.

Florida is notoriously 'older' in some parts.

If my dad was still alive, say being 70-80-90 yrs old,

living in Florida, he probably would've been one of those

older folk who are stubborn enough to ride it out.  Maybe those 

flying in are older children who just want to see their parents safe.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

YIKES!  Woman Surprised

How did they even get a flight?

Good question. IDK unless they flew down there a day or so ago.