Honored Contributor

How old is this child? He looks like he is just a little boy, way too young to be aware of his sexuality.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know there was a specific age when one knows.  Is there?  What is it?

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

The photo is still on the HONY site.

Honored Contributor
Many older teen and adult gay men and lesbians have said they "knew" as 5-6 year olds, even if they didn't yet understand the physiological and hormonal realizations that would come later.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor
The story is still on IG as of right now, too. He certainly does not look like a teen. I thought maybe 9-11. Either way, I hope he has a good support system.
Respected Contributor

I think he could be aware of his sexuality but I think his parents should have to give persmission before something like this is posted.   When I first saw it the first thing that came to my mind is hoax but maybe it isn't.   To me it looks like a sad little boy and it could be real or could be a model.

Esteemed Contributor

That looks like a staged photo.

Some of the stories repeated here are amazing; I live in a small rural community, and gay people aren't mistreated here. Heck it's practically a status symbol. Yet I read these stories of gay people who are mistreated.......perplexing.

You would think if that sort of thing was so widespread it would certainly happen here.

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

That looks like a staged photo.

Some of the stories repeated here are amazing; I live in a small rural community, and gay people aren't mistreated here. Heck it's practically a status symbol. Yet I read these stories of gay people who are mistreated.......perplexing.

You would think if that sort of thing was so widespread it would certainly happen here.

You're lucky to live in a good community.    I live in Wy.  Not so nice here, think Matthew Shepard.   There are a lot of places that are not so nice openly.   I always thought the south was the most racist of places but I'm from the north and I once heard someone say they ran the last one out.  This was referring to black people.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

I think he could be aware of his sexuality but I think his parents should have to give persmission before something like this is posted.   When I first saw it the first thing that came to my mind is hoax but maybe it isn't.   To me it looks like a sad little boy and it could be real or could be a model.

In the link above about it being removed said he was a teen.  Staged or not, it's a very real problem for young kids.   I know a family that I'm 100% sure their son is gay.  He'll never come out to them and they are in denial.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I think saying this young boy is a teen rather than a definite age like 13 speaks to it being a staged or stock photo.  and then in the article about it being removed it refers to an interview with him about his hopes and dreams besides the one statement--- was the interview also posted before the post was removed.   The photo just doesn't fit for me.