Honored Contributor

This might not be popular, but my best trick or treat was when I was in college. There were 4 of us living in a house and on a whim we we decided to trick or treat. We wore grunge clothes and the ugliest masks we could find. We 4 had so much fun and the houses we visited were great, and some older ladies gave us home made fudge. We laughed so much and had a great time . It is one of my best memories.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Growing up we lived in the country so we went to our grandmother's to trick or treat.  We would just run from house to house with pillowcases.  I remember one year was really nice, weather wise.  We had so much candy we could not carry it anymore.  We took it to my grandmothers house, got new pillowcases and went back out.  People thought we got a late start and gave us "extra"  to catch up to the other kids.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I remember 7th grade. My mom, my young brother, and I were staying up north with my grandmother for a while while we were moving from Georgia to Maryland  I won the costume contest. My second cousin made a pumpkin body from cloth, elasticized at both ends. I wore green tights. I don't remember the top I wore. I stepped into it and they stuffed me with newspapers. She had made a green thick stem out of cardboard with eyes cut in so I could see. 

I had fun but I couldn't wait to get out of it! Many others wore it after I did!

I remember going into neighbors' homes and "performing" to get our homemade  treats, donuts, and cider! 

So much fun and great memories!    Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

My mom hand made all of our costumes every year; we never bought them...she was/is quite clever...my favorites were: Angel, Witch, Kitty....so many-nothing scary just your typical costumes of that era, 1970's.  So much fun! and we woud never go out before it was dark...it had to be pitch black...however, i am glad when my kids were little it was from 6-8 so it was still light out.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Frequent Contributor

NO COSTUMES Where I grew up--"THE BRONX"-we just went ringing door bells and said "Anything for Halloween?" --not "trick or treat". The boys put flour in an old sock and would hit us with it and got flour all over us. 

I remember an episode of Regis and Kathy where Regis said he never wore a costume for Halloween!  He grew up in the Bronx also!--LOL

Respected Contributor
My favorite Halloween memory was watching the animated movie Mad Monster Party. The Monster Mash song was played in this movie. Regular TV would play it every year around Halloween time. Unfortunately the movie no longer plays annually anymore. I miss watching the movie.
Honored Contributor

@kittykatkay wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I don't miss trick-or-treating in the SNOW

@Desertdi ...I would imagine it would be difficult.  Living in the South, no problem here.

@kittykatkay     I am now retired in the SW (!!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I remember sitting at the table making up the little bags of candy with my mom and sister that our mom would hand out to the kids. My sister and I with Dad in tow would go out around town for our trick or treat. Like others, not a lot of money so we'd put on a mask or our mom would make some kind of costume. The best though was a rich family at the other end of town. They had a table set up with donuts and cider, candy of all kinds + a bowl with pennies for us to grab some. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Respected Contributor

Re: HALLOWEEN MEMORIES

[ Edited ]

See the source image

Respected Contributor

I lived in a rural area, so we were driven from house to house. We knew who had the best goodies, so we were certain to get there no matter what. My favorite was an older lady who dressed as a witch with full makeup and costume. She did a buffet of treats in her dining room. There was a cauldron of punch that had a smoke effect rising from it (dry ice?), homemade cookies, cupcakes, candied apples, and popcorn balls. The hours she must have spent getting ready for us!

Life moved at a slower pace. We stayed, enjoyed our punch and cupcakes or cookies. Then we each got a candied apple and a popcorn ball to take home. My costumes were always someone glamorous like a princess, but never scary.