Respected Contributor

Halloween is approaching and I was wondering if anyone would share what their Halloween was like growing up.  Favorite costume?  Favorite candy?

We didn't have alot of money, we didn't buy costumes.  We would just buy a mask from the department store and wear our regular clothes. We used paper bags from the grocery store to collect our candy too.

We always had so much fun walking around with all our friends and neighbors and getting all that candy.  

Share your memories.

See the source image

Respected Contributor

Remember Bobby Pickett singing "Monster Mash" on American Bandstand with D..k Clark?  

https://youtu.be/vNuVifA7DSU

Honored Contributor

I don't miss trick-or-treating in the SNOW

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@kittykatkay we made our own costumes, too! I remember using a pillowcase for our candy.  Halloween was as big to me as Christmas. And because we went to parochial school, we always had off school the day after Trick or Treating.  

So, the next morning while it was still dark, we'd go down to the living room. My older brother, older sis and I would sit cross legged in a circle on the rug, dump our pillow cases out in front of us and then the trading began.  

Looking back, I was probably not really very smart with my trades, since I loved candy corn and traded away many nice chocolate bars for those.  But it was so much fun!

Honored Contributor

Re: HALLOWEEN MEMORIES

[ Edited ]

Our youngest son was married on Halloween. The invitation asked guests to come in costume. The grooms men all wore different costumes. It was a great event.

We came as Lil'Red Riding Hood and the Wolf. Hubbs was the wolf.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

We never bought a costume.  I had a mask that I wore for several years.  It was a girl mask with long red hair and a flower in her hair.  I just wore some of my dress up clothes with it.  The only other thing I ever dressed up was a Hobo.  I normally went trick or treating in the neighborhood with my friend across the street then my mom drove us to some of their friends and our relatives houses.  We had one neighbor that made and gave our homemade popcorn balls.  I was so impressed and that was my favorite thing and I remembered to go to their house every year after that.  Homemade popcorn balls probably wouldn't go over so well today.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I don't miss trick-or-treating in the SNOW

@Desertdi ...I would imagine it would be difficult.  Living in the South, no problem here.

Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@kittykatkay we made our own costumes, too! I remember using a pillowcase for our candy.  Halloween was as big to me as Christmas. And because we went to parochial school, we always had off school the day after Trick or Treating.  

So, the next morning while it was still dark, we'd go down to the living room. My older brother, older sis and I would sit cross legged in a circle on the rug, dump our pillow cases out in front of us and then the trading began.  

Looking back, I was probably not really very smart with my trades, since I loved candy corn and traded away many nice chocolate bars for those.  But it was so much fun!

@Kalli ....what great memories.  Ahhh yes, some kids here used pillowcases too.  LOL, on trading away chocolated bars for candy corn.  I'd rather have the chocolate.  LOL.

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Our youngest son was married on Halloween. The invitation asked guests to come in costume. The grooms men all wore different costumes. It was a great event.

We came as Lil'Red Riding Hood and the Wolf. Hubbs was the wolf.

@Group 5 minus 1 ...I LOVE THIS!!!  I bet that was a lot of fun.  

Respected Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

We never bought a costume.  I had a mask that I wore for several years.  It was a girl mask with long red hair and a flower in her hair.  I just wore some of my dress up clothes with it.  The only other thing I ever dressed up was a Hobo.  I normally went trick or treating in the neighborhood with my friend across the street then my mom drove us to some of their friends and our relatives houses.  We had one neighbor that made and gave our homemade popcorn balls.  I was so impressed and that was my favorite thing and I remembered to go to their house every year after that.  Homemade popcorn balls probably wouldn't go over so well today.

@shoptilyadropagain ...Hobo costumes were very popular, I remember that.

And, The POPCORN balls... one of my grandmothers always gave out popcorn balls during halloween.  Everyone loved them too.