Respected Contributor

Maybe being retired from a work life that absorbed 90% of most of their thoughts, being retired leaves a void that sports floods into and they don't know how to fix it or even realize what has happened.

I guess it shows how important it is to stay up on a variety of happenings and avoid living in our own heads which is true even if living single.

Respected Contributor

Oh, Petey, I just read that your DH still works. So much for my idea. I hope he can realize that you can be good company if he can open up a little.

Honored Contributor

My wife's problem with this old man. Usually talking too much. Age has nothing to do with males talking too little or too much. "A Male"? Yes. "Males"? No. It is as individual as DNA, if "he" won't talk with a professional? The ones noticing his change might be helped by doing so. AGE per se', has nothing to do with a physically and mentally healthy male or female talking or not talking. I may fit the "old man" part, but not the "grumpy'.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Is this something new, or has he never wanted to converse over dinner? If it's something new, then you might try to persuade him to get a physical. You didn't mention his age, & I hate bringing this up, but is it possible that it's early onset Alzheimer's?

Honored Contributor
I feel bad you say he hates his job. Do you work? A job i loved for almost 16 years turned into a nightmare and it was at the dinner table that i would fall apart. (Tears) Men don't do that. I rarely cry but this was so upsetting...it's just how it happened. I quit my job...is there any possibility he could quit?
Honored Contributor

Not everyone wants to talk while they eat, some want to just enjoy their food. Leave him alone to enjoy his dinner as he wishes and carry on a conversation with your daughter.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree, OC, perhaps he feels pressured to "perform" at the dinner table. When you have a lousy job, you want to come home, unwind, and do what you want to do.....

Super Contributor
On 4/2/2015 hckynut said:

My wife's problem with this old man. Usually talking too much. Age has nothing to do with males talking too little or too much. "A Male"? Yes. "Males"? No. It is as individual as DNA, if "he" won't talk with a professional? The ones noticing his change might be helped by doing so. AGE per se', has nothing to do with a physically and mentally healthy male or female talking or not talking. I may fit the "old man" part, but not the "grumpy'.

Hckynut, much as I like you, I do believe you are one of the exceptions that prove the rule. I have known a few (and very, very few) men like you in my long life.

By and large I have found men to be rather non-communicative when it comes to women.

In Sunny AZ
Respected Contributor
You are not alone. My DH is a sports nut too, and if there is a TV screen with a sports channel on, and so many restaurants have them everywhere now, I can be certain that he will be glued to it, for the duration of the meal.
Respected Contributor

I come from a large family and married into a large family. There are all types of personalities across the board. I have a very talkative brother, 2 who are medium talkers and 1 who's fairly quiet, and I have a very dramatic sis. DH's family is similar. Takes all kinds....

My DH is hyperactive. I find he's happiest when he's had the chance to run off his energy which usually involves playing some type of sport. I can get a deeper conversation from him after he's run off his extra energy and can actually sit still long enough to converse! To that end, I always get him a golf membership for Christmas. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} And I'm hoping his tennis friends will be playing lots of doubles this summer.