Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery Store Stock Issues?

@Justholdingon wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

probably thieves taking it all knowing they can't be stopped.

this is what's happening to a pharmacy in the area my sister and elderly mother live in. thieves are driving out the only pharmacy in that area so my sister will now have to order everything they need online which means they can't use coupons or the pharmacy card points. and the police station is only right across the street from where the pharmacy is located.

@Justholdingon  Oh no, this is awful for your Mom.

Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Have you not been to a grocery store in a while? The nationwide grocery store chains are all bare. Just another sign of these lovely times.

I have been to four different grocery stores in NYC in the past week (when you don't have a car, you shop frequently) and no even remotely bare shelves.  That is an incorrect generalization.

Honored Contributor

Do you only have one grocery store in your area???

Esteemed Contributor

I have 9 grocery stores within 3 miles of my house and there are no shortages of anything. I did notice there is no baby formula at Target but it doesn't affect me. 

Honored Contributor

Our market is very good at disguising outages.  They just fill in the spot with something else and you don't realize it until you try to buy that exact item.  I can usually find 5 or 6 items per trip on my list that are out.

Honored Contributor

People need to take a step back and realize that some areas are hit very hard while other areas are getting by with shelves stocked with food and paper goods.

For those who have had no problems, great.  Remember your local food banks, too.

I feel for those who head out for groceries only to find less and less to purchase in their areas.

It is unfair to say posts are exaggerations when one does not see every grocery story across the country.

Keep in mind blockades preventing staple grains being shipped out will negatively affect the poorest of countries who cannot grow such items; and eventually that can filter down to us.

Shortages are nothing to scoff at; we can all very well face a future with even less to buy.

Think about it.

(Some of this post is a repeat for the May 13, 2022 issue of Fortune and includes input from the Human Rights Watch and the UN World Food Programme.)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@CoffeeNut wrote:

You should have asked an employee and then you would have known what the situation was. 

They would not have known (or cared).  I can call corporate next week to get a better answer.

@Snoopp 

Not sure why you felt it necessary to write your 1st sentence in your reply to @CoffeeNut. So I will ask, why did you add the "or cared"?

1. hckynut  🇺🇸
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

The grocery stores I order from or shop in here in South Texas are pretty well stocked, now there just might be an item or two that aren't available but that's all. I heard that some manufacturers are cutting back on the variety they offer due to supply limitations and I find that to be true....but I guess we are blessed here in my city to have pretty well stocked stores.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 wrote:

I never know what will be out of stock or in low supply when I go to the grocery store.  I've become so accustomed to it that it's just a normal part of grocery shopping for me now.  

I know on Mondays the stores are not well stocked.  I try to go mid-week.  

@Bri369 

Yep, I found out the hard way about Mondays---never again....I usually shop on Thursdays and Instacart tells us to request a 10 AM or later delivery to assure the best stocking of inventory 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd recommend diversifying your grocery sources so you don't have all your (expensive?) eggs in one basket. I get meal prep boxes from Hello Fresh and EveryPlate, so I always have plenty of fresh groceries on hand for our main meals.

(EveryPlate is quite affordable at $5 per meal per person plus a flat shipping rate. So this is not some fancy concept that is out of reach of most of us.)

These companies use different suppliers than grocery stores. I think some of their suppliers are restaurant and hospitality suppliers, actually. Doing this really helped my household get through the pandemic with less supply drama than a lot of people seemed to be having.

(deleted sentence that triggered someone and explained about everyplate)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr