Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery Store Stock Issues?

@fingerlakesny wrote:

I live in western NY and I go shopping every week. There are no shortages of any kind in any of the stores I have been to - Wegmans, Tops, or Wal-Mart. I am going to start going every other week because of gas prices - $4.79 a gallon. 

@fingerlakesny  I'm in eastern NY and have no problems here so far. Husband always comes home with a trunkful of bags and gets everything on the list. Wegmans and Shop Rite.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of the empty-shelf problem might be due to people stocking up on items.

With inflation numbers going up,  if you don't buy a certain item today, it could be more expensive tomorrow, so load the cart!

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

probably thieves taking it all knowing they can't be stopped.

@SharkE  We are told to call the police in my town if salesmen for solar panels come to the door and say they they have a contract with the town to sell them. Town says there is no contract, call police so they can get them out of town. Police around here really on the ball. No problem in grocery stores so far.

Trusted Contributor

Other than a certain kind of Pepperidge Farm bread and yellow mustard (of all things) I've had no problem finding things at the grocery store over the past few weeks.

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp  Yup, there are shelves that are bare and there are things that I bought in the past that have pretty much went the way of the dodo bird never to be seen again.  Some things I will find and substitue and then after that first purchase I will never see that item again either.  There are times that the shelves are "more" stocked but there are still gaps of certain items.   I've gone shopping and had to substitute items, and re-think the weekly menu due to being unable to find my long time recipe staples.  It's frustrating to say the least.  

Honored Contributor

Still lots of shortages and outages at the Publix I go to, the largest Publix in my state.  And some of the outages have been outages for quite some time, like months. But overall, still plenty of food to shop for.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

The Walmarts here are mostly sending pickup orders to Walmart brands.  Since I haven't been inside, not sure if there are shortages in the stores or not.

You need to shop on Tuesday, Wed. or Thursday and be there early for a pickup to get a shot at national brands for a lot of items like milk (out of Fairlife), cottage cheese (no Daisy for weeks), lunch meat, cheese, and some things like rice and beans.

Honored Contributor

I never know what will be out of stock or in low supply when I go to the grocery store.  I've become so accustomed to it that it's just a normal part of grocery shopping for me now.  

I know on Mondays the stores are not well stocked.  I try to go mid-week.  

Super Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

probably thieves taking it all knowing they can't be stopped.

this is what's happening to a pharmacy in the area my sister and elderly mother live in. thieves are driving out the only pharmacy in that area so my sister will now have to order everything they need online which means they can't use coupons or the pharmacy card points. and the police station is only right across the street from where the pharmacy is located.

Honored Contributor

People here love to make snide remarks about QVC being the only company with slow shipping, however, all the major retailers released earnings reports this week and all reported large losses, citing supply chain difficulties.  It just happens that the manner in which QVC operates, scheduling merchandise for sale months in advance, it's difficulties are more apparent when it doesn't arrive on time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment