Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery Shopping Is Getting Harder

There is no delivery service in my area. I avoid Walmart if I can, so I go to Tops.  As of today there was no limit to number of people allowed in. However , everyone was staying apart, wearing masks and the staff wore gloves . In my opinion people are doing the best they can, and in my store basic items were available.  

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Large families have to make more grocery runs and I feel badly for them. I remember those hungry teen years. When I find myself getting annoyed, I think of my grandparent's early lives -- chopping wood or going to the creek for water before indoor plumbing and electricity. So, I keep myself in check that way.  

The two of us are doing okay with our groceries. Pick up is a 6 day wait. We drop off groceries for single dad son with toddler and inlaws in active care center. Grocery delivery was once a low price per drop off but now the store has an annual $100 membership fee for those who want delivery. So I pick up at online store drive up until I decide I want to pay the $100.00. Our well-equipped gas station (with lunch counter) has milk, eggs, bottled water, snacks, etc., on hand. In between grocery pick up, we'll consolidate gas and milk trips. 

What I do see is stress on faces of adults who most likely have families at home to feed while they try to stay safe. Hubs is getting daily calls from his parents at active care center. They can't leave or they must have 14 day quarantine. So they call him almost daily to fetch things. He explains to them when he goes to the store, he will pick that up and drop off at the reception desk at care center. Good physical health, but I think they're confused. 85 & 90.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 I think the procedures you described are smart if you don't want to get exposed.

I had my temp taken at the allergy doctor's on Monday.

Esteemed Contributor

I am going to do everything possible to stay out of the grocery store for as long as possible. I will need beef for my dog's raw diet- for that I will go to the butcher shop down the road and pay a premium in order to avoid the market.

Honored Contributor

NRe: Grocery Shopping Is Getting Harder

[ Edited ]

@stevieb 

Maybe we are getting our news from different sources. I have seen the trucking industry talked about almost daily, both locally and nationally. Much is about getting their commodities to the stores and/or distributors. 

My feeling is each state and local authorities are the first step in improving any of the things you mentioned. All of us have to remember that those driving the trucks are also putting themselves in harm's way. Maybe not the "front line", but very important.

All of us wish things were better, and many feel that "we" were not prepared well enough for things like this to happen. My feeling is, for the most part, the majority of our leaders, be it local/state or federal, are doing the best they can under these terrible circumstances.

Stay well,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Home delivery here in upstate NY is useless---I was lucky enough to get a time slot for two days after I ordered--but when my delivery came, it was only half of what I ordered.Was supposed to get a text if the store had to subsitite anything--no one bothered to text me. The biggest and most important items that were left out of my order were meats and frozen veggies! Very disappointing--a waste of time and money ($18 delivery fee plus service charge--and a $5 tip for the driver). Not doing that again.

Had to send my husband out to the supermarket today to get the items we need to survive the next two weeks--he was able to get what was left off the dleivery--I don't get it--he went to the same store where the delivery came from!

That defeated the whole purpose of home delivery.

Today he went to a different market to buy ground beef--stores here limit the amount of packages to two per shopping cart--so he went to buy two more packages somewhere else--plus he had to go to the bank and Home Depot.

I hate it that he had to be out and about in public--but he wears an N95 mask that was issued to him from his job, but it is old--he retired 5 years ago--so whether it is expired, I cannot say. He was careful, kept his distance from others and sanitized his hands frequently. He doesn't want me to go out among people--I am in remission from cancer but am still in treatment.

I wish I had a better experience with home delivery.

God bless and everyone be safe and well!!!!

Honored Contributor

I see it as an inconvenience that just might save a life. 

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Simply stay home people. I am shocked people are still out food shopping. People should have had a large selection of dried beans and lentils to get through a crisis.  I bet half the people at the supermarket are buying junk foods and chips !   Exposing people to the virus for no reason other than to get a bag of Lays chips is assinine.  

Please be safe and use the delivery services.  I am using "Instacart" and they have been very reliable.

There are no dial a ride buses, car services,  pickups or home deliveries available for groceries at this time in my area so how in the world are people who don't have transportation or shouldn't go out because of their age - health suppose to get food & medications...well,  they're depending on volunteers to do it for them & we aren't in the stores shopping for a bag of chips. We're also providing rides for patients who need treatments at the nearby Cancer Center. There are millions of people going to work everyday, people grocery shopping to take care of themselves - their families & others who are volunteering to help those in need....assinine, no.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

Simply stay home people. I am shocked people are still out food shopping. People should have had a large selection of dried beans and lentils to get through a crisis.  I bet half the people at the supermarket are buying junk foods and chips !   Exposing people to the virus for no reason other than to get a bag of Lays chips is assinine.  

Please be safe and use the delivery services.  I am using "Instacart" and they have been very reliable.

Upon reading your post, at first I wasn't going to bother responding, but it irritated me to think that simply because 'you' don't have a problem using a grocery delivery service such as Instacart, you clearly don't have any understanding what so many people in other parts of the country are going through!  I've tried  using Instacart on two separate occasions.  The first time I had an order of $157 but on the day of them filling the order, only $42. and change of what I ordered were in stock.  The order had a delivery date of 7 days from the time I had put in the order.  The second time I tried using Instacart, I again put in large order for around the same amount and that order was cancelled  due to high demand....AFTER waiting for over a week for them to contact me they couldn't fill the order.  Oh, and BTW...NO snacks or non-essentials were in either order, so please do not assume everyone has the luxury that you have ordering and receiving everything you need.  If you're using Instacart, then clearly you're not simply consuming lentils and beans either!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@fitfuninformed I heard that the Trader Joe's in Merrick was closed for two days, I think someone had the coronavirus that worked there. As for using Instacart, it's hit or miss when you'll get your delivery. Also there is no guarantee you'll get everything you want.