Trusted Contributor

Re: Grocery Shopping Is Getting Harder

[ Edited ]

We have been under the " so many people in the store" and must wear masks rules for about ten days. 

it makes sense. A friend's 26 year old son has died and a neighbor's mother is in ICU fighting for life right now. This is serious stuff.

Respected Contributor

No, delivery service is not easy.  I just looked at three different stores in my area.  They all showed 3-4 weeks out, and none had any time slots available for either pick up or delivery.  I also have a cart full of stuff at Amazon Fresh, and have been checking the site about every hour waiting for a date to open up.  I think it goes to May 4 right now.

Trusted Contributor

@Reever  Our delivery services are backed up and often can only get part of what is requested. Heck, even Chewy.com is taking around two weeks to get cat food and meds to people in my area. 

i have been trying to shop for me and for my 93-year-old mom who lives nearby. Her grocery shoppers from church all have quit, so getting food makes me feel like a hunter and gatherer these days.

Trusted Contributor

I am in NY, Long Island.  Trader Joe's had implemented the 'no more than 20 people in the store at a time' a couple weeks back.  Earlier this week, they began the 'one direction only' with arrows on the floor to which we are to follow.  Many of the patrons were rather confused and quite a few kept back tracking having forgotten something - sad.   

I understand the intention here and in theory it should work, but TOO many people just aren't focused enough, even for something as simple as food shopping.  Hopefully this new reality is a temporary one and we will be back to business as usual.  

I AM hopeful. Smiley Happy

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

Simply stay home people. I am shocked people are still out food shopping. People should have had a large selection of dried beans and lentils to get through a crisis.  I bet half the people at the supermarket are buying junk foods and chips !   Exposing people to the virus for no reason other than to get a bag of Lays chips is assinine.  

Please be safe and use the delivery services.  I am using "Instacart" and they have been very reliable.

Honored Contributor

I have already placed a pick-up order for 3 weeks from today.  I usually need to add a few things before the pick-up date.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Simply stay home people. I am shocked people are still out food shopping. People should have had a large selection of dried beans and lentils to get through a crisis.  I bet half the people at the supermarket are buying junk foods and chips !   Exposing people to the virus for no reason other than to get a bag of Lays chips is assinine.  

Please be safe and use the delivery services.  I am using "Instacart" and they have been very reliable.

@Reever   You would be betting wrong.  I have to shop tomorrow.  Among the items on my list: Lactaid, paper towels, vegetables, tea, butter, almonds, eggs  No junk food, no chips!  

and no delivery slots where I live, as many others have stated.  Perhaps you should read all the posts, before you make condescending remarks 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

"Stop & Shops in New York and New Jersey are going to limit the number of people allowed in the store at one time, the aisles will only be one way with arrows pointing to the direction."

"Some places are taking people's temperatures before they are allowed in a store."

@Jordan2 

All the things I left in your post above make a lot of sense to me, especially where you live. 

Here in Nebraska where we live the # of cases is very low. I think in order to keep them low, more stores ought to incorporate the things I quoted(") from your post.

My wife feels the need more to go out, so she goes to the store. If she changes her mind I will do the shopping, and would have no problem with following those guidelines.

Everyone is different, as are my wife and myself. She does not like having to stay in, i kinda like it myself. But I do miss my ice skating, but other than that? Zip!

Stay well,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't know whether my local supermarket has instituted one-way aisles, but their aisles are so narrow that I can't see how it would help. I'd have to go around the person in front of me and, in the process, be socially nondistanced.Smiley Happy

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Some stores here in MD have been a limit of 30 in at one time for 2 weeks now.