Respected Contributor

Re: Grocery Shopping Is Getting Harder

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie 

I was just this morning thinking about grocery workers and their plight to be a loyal worker while keeping themselves and family safe.  Those of us hunkering down and dreading our grocery experience along with chore of cleaning and disinfecting ourselves and groceries at home must take a moment to think of others working in public. They must come home and keep things clean for themselves and family.  There are no wipes to buy so home bleach solutions must be made and used, clothing washed, etc.  This is every day after dealing with public.

I have no problem with them getting food early in day and getting their families set.  I hate shopping because the things we want are not available but 

I won't go multiple times to check. Again, we are relying on people to be honest about who they get groceries for but that is another issue.  Workers should get some breaks.

Contributor

I am tired of this.  Here if you are newly diagnoses with cancer -- good luck seeing a doctor.  We die of other things besides this dreadful virus and we all deserve to be cared for.  

Honored Contributor

What has that got to do with grocery shopping?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@SusanH wrote:

I am tired of this.  Here if you are newly diagnoses with cancer -- good luck seeing a doctor.  We die of other things besides this dreadful virus and we all deserve to be cared for.  

@SusanH 

I'm so sorry that you have to have cancer treatment at this time and hope you get your appointments soon.  I don't know how cancer treatment is now but my advise is don't eat any of your favorite foods if you have to have chemo because you could hate them for a couple of years.  And I know this is trite to say but when I was diagnosed with cancer a doctor told me I probably had it for 7 or 8 years prior.   many thoughts and prayers are with you.

Honored Contributor

I live in NYC my local news show just had a story how delivery services have non existent delivery times. A place in Westbury ( Crystal? ) is a business that delivered produce and dairy to restuarants. Instead of letting the food rot, he is now placing and delivering orders to customer's homes.

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb There is a MOMS about 10 minutes away from me. I've attempted to go a few times now but have turned around due to the LONG lines outside of the store. They announce (which is considerate of them) how long the average wait will be so you can decide to wait or leave. It's usually around 45 minutes before you get inside. Longer on weekends (many are still working so they are shopping with everyone else then).

I'm not standing outside for an hour with a crowd considering WHY we are having these issues. Completely defeats the purpose of "social distancing". 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@stevieb There is a MOMS about 10 minutes away from me. I've attempted to go a few times now but have turned around due to the LONG lines outside of the store. They announce (which is considerate of them) how long the average wait will be so you can decide to wait or leave. It's usually around 45 minutes before you get inside. Longer on weekends (many are still working so they are shopping with everyone else then).

I'm not standing outside for an hour with a crowd considering WHY we are having these issues. Completely defeats the purpose of "social distancing". 

@FiddleDeeDee  Nope, no lines for me either if I can avoid them. Completely agree, defeats the purpose of all the qwap we're currently subjected to if we're then going to be expected to stand in line with a bunch of strangers...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

I placed an order almost three weeks ago for delivery next week, as that was the soonest date available. I can add to or delete items from the order for a few more days but the sad reality is that I go to the store's website and virtually everything I want to add is 'out of stock', as is virtually everything on the site, whether I'd want it or not. This is utterly ridiculous and it has to be addressed. Really, something's got to give. We've been into this now for weeks and these ongoing and seemingly worsening availability issues are frightening. They can't go on for freaking ever, or at least one hopes. It seems they're not getting better and it also appears not much is being done about it...

@stevieb 

Of course Dr. Bix's comments encouraging people to get a two week grocery supply didnt help matters, and perhaps families were stocking up and buying extra due to the Easter Holiday.   I think that's why our city made the news as 10,000 people showed up at the Food Bank trying to get a box of food and I bet some of it is because they got tired of going to the store only to find empty shelves ............................

Now that the holiday is over I'm keeping my fingers crossed things will improve.....I noticed earlier slots were opening up now....Hopefully things will get better.  Several friends that decided to shop in-store this week said the inventory had improved in several stores....why they even had paper towels, toilet paper, and eggs....the only things they were still out of was Lysol products and Clorax wipes...But I know things are different in different locations throughout our country....

Give it a couple days and keep going back to the Instacart App to see if things are now in stock....(but wait until after Monday, which has always been a difficult day to find available items in the store).....HANG IN THERE!!  Hopefully things will get better in your area.....

But if things get worse and dont get better....then SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE needs to take some serious action!!!  Eating is NOT an optional activity....virus or no virus! Woman Mad

P.S. O/T Why does Dr. Birx always wear a scarf????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I placed an order almost three weeks ago for delivery next week, as that was the soonest date available. I can add to or delete items from the order for a few more days but the sad reality is that I go to the store's website and virtually everything I want to add is 'out of stock', as is virtually everything on the site, whether I'd want it or not. This is utterly ridiculous and it has to be addressed. Really, something's got to give. We've been into this now for weeks and these ongoing and seemingly worsening availability issues are frightening. They can't go on for freaking ever, or at least one hopes. It seems they're not getting better and it also appears not much is being done about it...

@stevieb 

Of course Dr. Bix's comments encouraging people to get a two week grocery supply didnt help matters, and perhaps families were stocking up and buying extra due to the Easter Holiday.   I think that's why our city made the news as 10,000 people showed up at the Food Bank trying to get a box of food and I bet some of it is because they got tired of going to the store only to find that shelves were bare ............................

Now that the holiday is over I'm keeping my fingers crossed things will improve.....I noticed earlier slots were opening up now....Hopefully things will get better.  Several friends that decided to shop in-store this week said the inventory had improved in several stores....why they even had paper towels, toilet paper, and eggs....the only things they were still out of was Lysol products and Clorax wipes...But I know things are different in different locations throughout our country....

Give it a couple days and keep going back to the Instacart App to see if things are now in stock....(but wait until after Monday, which has always been a difficult day to find available items in the store).....HANG IN THERE!!  Hopefully things will get better in your area.....

But if things get worse and dont get better....then SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE needs to take some serious action!!!  Eating is NOT an optional activity....virus or no virus! Woman Mad

P.S. O/T Why does Dr. Birx always wear a scarf????

I don't know whether that was a factor. I wish I could have bought for two weeks, especially when I was braving going to the market. But we eat a lot of fresh produce and some other items that just don't fare well for too long.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Have you looked into Instacart?  You shop online and groceries are delivered to your door or wherever you want them.  I have been using it for a few weeks now, so convenient.