Respected Contributor

Google's Project Sunroof

[ Edited ]

Haven't tried this yet but it looks interesting.

https://www.google.com/get/sunroof/about/

As the price of installing solar has gotten less expensive, more homeowners are turning to it as a possible option for decreasing their energy bill. We want to make installing solar panels easy and understandable for anyone.

Project Sunroof puts Google's expansive data in mapping and computing resources to use, helping calculate the best solar plan for you.

How it works:

When you enter your address, Project Sunroof looks up your home in Google Maps and combines that information with other databases to create your personalized roof analysis.

Don't worry: Project Sunroof doesn't give the address to anybody else unless you ask it to.

Project Sunroof computes how much sunlight hits your roof in a year. It takes into account:

Google's database of aerial imagery and maps
3D modeling of your roof
Shadows cast by nearby structures and trees
All possible sun positions over the course of a year
Historical cloud and temperature patterns that might affect solar energy production

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Re: Google's Project Sunroof

It says, "Not in my location yet". Darn it. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

I'll pass as i'm not interested.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will go look at the Google's sunroof later.  To see what they are doing or see how the sunroof has changed.

Years ago we installed sunroofs in all the bathrooms, down the long halls, and in the kitchen.   All day long we never have to turn on the lights.  I love how the sunlight flows into the rooms.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for this Smaug.  Unfortunately they are not in my area either but I did bookmark the page and will keep checking.  The savings for the sample addresses that they displayed would completely wipe out my electric bill as it stands now so I am very interested.

Thank you again!