Super Contributor

Re: Goodwill Elevates Its Image

@Kachina624 wrote:

I won't donate to Goodwill at all.  They get their merchandise free, pay their employees minimum wage, pay their CEO millions.  What a deal....for the CEO!

ITA when I heard that their CEO was a millionaire from getting things free I started giving my stuff to the Salvation Army.

Respected Contributor

Many years ago when my dad was in the service, he had come home along with many other service personnel because the war was over.

They flew into San Francisco and had a layover.  The Salvation Army was offering coffee to the servicemen for .25 per cup.

It should have been free to the servicemen.  Problem was the servicemen had no money.  They flew in from overseas to go home and had clothing, but that's it.  

I think the servicemen should have been given a cup of coffee.

Because of this, I have always never donated to this association.  (Even though it's been many years ago).  

Honored Contributor

Ours go to Vietnam Vets.

Respected Contributor

I went into a Goodwill store a few days ago since DH was looking for a book .I am a big fan of the big shopping bags that Homegoods and Marshalls sell...$1.99. Goodwill had several of them that were ripped or had holes in them...$5,99 each. I have to wonder who prices these things! Worn-out tees were $8.99 and up, but i found a set of 6 Spode blue fruit bowls for $3.99. I bought the bowls and left the tees and bags behind! DH didn't find his book either. We are done with GW

Respected Contributor

The CEO million-dollar salary is a myth; it needs to just stop being perpetuated. Not ure hwo starte iit; probably a company who viewed them as a competitor.

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm,

A former boyfriend's mom used to shop at the Good Will in Greenwich, CT.  Very wealthy, upscale area.

She would find clothing with tags that you would find in a Saks 5th Avenue or Bloomingdales.  When she needed cocktail dresses, she would always shop there.  

My friend Peg is a "thrifter".  She & her daughter go to thrift stores in wealthier areas to shop.

Respected Contributor

GW has long had a mission that included job training for those who have or are currenly in rehab or have mental illness or disability. They do have sheltered workshops for adults; when I was in grad school I supervised one of the workshops as part of an internship. To my knowledge, homelessness has never been one of their outreach areas. I am so confused as to why they have changed their store business model including pricing, etc, but it seems like most of the thrift stores here have also raised their prices. That may be why so many aren't having big crowds shopping in their stores now. Also, GW's sole revenue source is not the thrift stores; they have many contracts with companies who buy some of the donations that are not put out for sale but have use in industrial settings.....

Esteemed Contributor

This thread reminds me of my community FB page constantly trashing Walmart yet shop there all the time.  I occasionally shop Goodwill. Last trip I scored a cycler to sit down & exercise my legs $10.  Halloween costume for my GD $3 and a brand new Old Navy flannel $4.99.  I don't donate there because I support the animals & foster kids.

Respected Contributor

Before I donate anywhere, I take note of what amount of money goes to the powers that be in the organization. Goodwill was off my list ages ago. 

I support the veterans and animals!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I won't donate to Goodwill at all.  They get their merchandise free, pay their employees minimum wage, pay their CEO millions.  What a deal....for the CEO!

I totally agree with you.