Honored Contributor

Re: Goodwill Elevates Its Image

I don't shop or browse at Goodwill.  My husband will looking for Sesame Street DVD's for our grandson.  He has said the prices are outrageous, the furniture is junk and overpriced and it sits and sits forever.

Esteemed Contributor

I only donate to animal shelters. They run thrift shops and sometimes put things higher value things like handbags with brand names on eBay. I've only been in a Goodwill store once or twice and wasn't impressed.

Honored Contributor

In Cherry Creek, an upscale part of Denver, there is a Goodwill Boutique that I have shopped several times. It's not your ordinary Goodwill. They sell very high-end merchandise for fairly low prices. 

Respected Contributor

I tried to find my source.

Somewhere I recall that Goodwill will redesign the store to look like a TJ Max. They will also sell new merchandise like underware. 

I think many well known charities are top heavy in paying for management. I try to give to a local women's shelter resell shop.

My sister works her tail off for special olympics and reports to several well paid bosses. The one that surprised me was St Judes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to give to goodwill, now I use pickup please, a vets organization. Schedule a day ahead weeks ahead.  Box it up and they come to your porch, garage, sidewalk.  Don't have to lug it anywhere.  But a couple years ago was looking for a plant stand in GW, and my SO, got what looked like brand new, a long wool coat, and a leather jacket that was pristine for $16 for both.  He still wears them.  Like everything else, I'm sure the prices are up. 

Valued Contributor

I agree with you.  I donate pretty much to Salvation Army.  There is also a home that support persons with substance issues and I will donate major items to them.  (Furniture, appliances,etc). as they will quickly pick up which helps for big itemsand they provided much needed support to our community.  

I will not donate anything that I would not use myselff.  I see to many people who ship all their junk to these agencies.  It only makes more work for them.

Respected Contributor

I think somewhere along the line GW has gotten too big for their britches. We don't donate to them much if at all anymore. The mission must have changed over the years as they have become pickier with what they accept or don't accept.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

That's why I prefer to donate clothes and other things to Salvation Army.

@jannabelle1   Me too.  They will take anything & be very grateful.  Will even give you the paperwork for a tax write off.  When I first moved to where I am now, I called them so many times to pick up my donations they knew me by name & my address w/o me giving it to them. Smiley Embarassed

GoodWill is too stuck up in my neck of the woods.  Very choosy in what they will take & no pick-ups.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I usually shop Savers which supports Vietnam Vets.  Prices definitely gone way up. I usually look at kids clothes.  T-shirts with any "prime label" are priced at $10 and up.  I might as well buy new at Target.  I scoured for things probably mismarked.  on Seniors' day it was very busy.  Obviously some there purchasing for resale.

I visited a Goodwill the other day - one I had not visited in couple of years.  It was much neater and nicer there than before.  Prices were a bit high, too.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz 

Prices are going up everywhere.  I guess Good Will is no different.

I don't know if I've asked this question here before.

Do you guys feel like GW is for those that NEED to shop there or for anyone?  My mother and daughter love to shop at GW.  Neither one of them NEED to shop there.  IMO, that takes away much needed merchandise from those not as fortunate.