Honored Contributor

As someone who has worked in a retail pharmacy in the past month, here's my two cents.

First the drive thru is for quick pickups and dropping off a prescription.  I understand it's winter and very possibly cold and nasty and/or there may even be mobility issues for a customer but this issue is really not what the drive thru is for. 

It would have been helpful for everyone if a call had been made first to see what the most expedient way to handle this issue was as it's not a common one. And it's also not one any pharmacy tech manning a drive thru is legally able to help you with especially on the spot.

If the pharmacist is busy, there is nothing the employee can do except tell you to come back later.  And if you had a solution like leaving it with them which again is not legal, then my advice is to offer it.   Nicely.

Most of us in customer service can't read minds and I know I always appreciate it when a customer offers a solution I may not have thought of.  You have to help us help you.  We really want to!    

And as far as the legality, once a prescription leaves the pharmacy (and yes an inhaler is a prescription product), by law, we really can't take it back and then give the exact same item back to you. That is because of a risk of tampering and other liability issues.

The store did the most expedient law abiding thing to solve the problem and marked the item as defective and just gave you another one. 

Any pharmacy would rather take an inventory loss on one inhaler rather than risk a potential lawsuit which is what they would have done by trying to fix your inhaler themselves and give it back.  I would be in shock if any pharmacist ever approved doing that unless you came in and stood and watched the entire thing happen and it was a simple quick fix.

The other possibility to consider is that those of us who clock in every day at work are human beings with our own personal problems and issues just like you that unfortunately can and do bleed into our work at times and cause us to have an off day.  It happens. 

Not a single one of us is pleasant every single second of every single day.  Not an excuse but I think we need to remember more compassion towards one another rather than always calling for a manager because it's not within an employee's ability to solve your problem the very second you present it.    

Again, just my two cents based on the facts as presented and my experience of being in the pharmacy employee's shoes.  This is the other side of what the pharmacy has to consider to protect themselves while servicing you and others. 

I personally think you did the right thing in going someplace else you prefer.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14

Excellent response.  Esp "Most of us in customer service can't read minds and I know I always appreciate it when a customer offers a solution I may not have thought of.  You have to help us help you.  We really want to!"

To some customer service means = the responsibility of my problem is all yours so fix it.

Honored Contributor

@makena  Amen!  I keep looking for my employer issued magic wand that I am apparently supposed to have on me at all times.  Still looking for it!    

Honored Contributor

Re: Goodbye to my drugstore

[ Edited ]

This is the last time I will share an experience.  Some of you out right call me a liar.  I know what happened and I even gave further details yet some of you continue to attack my experience.  Shame on you.  I guess some of you feel good to put another person down.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

So she told you that they were busy and could not help you at the drive thru at that moment.  Perhaps the pharmacist had told her to have you bring it in another time.  Apparently you had another inhaler since you left that one to come back and get it the next day.

What exactly is a na, na, na, na face. 

@Crazy Daisy I'd like to know so I can recognize it in case someone makes that face at me.  I have an idea but it's something we might have done as children Woman LOL

And extremely unlikely for an adult to make to another adult. Really.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I know my post came across harsh at times @Katcat1 and I am sorry for upsetting you. 

It wasn't my intention but I did want to give another side as to what may be happening on the other end based on the fragments of what I read.  I never called you a liar and I never would.  How would I know?  I wasn't there.  And I did say we all have bad days including the employee who you had the misfortune to run into.  

No one can absolutely know you or what your needs are just as most people don't understand the legalities a pharmacy deals with or how extremely busy a retail drug store is.  That was the true point I was trying to express to help others who may find themselves in a similar situation one day.

I believe you said you transferred to a grocery store. They have much less volume and should be able to give you the attention you are deserving of.  I really do hope you never experience a situation like this again.   

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  During my life I have worked in retail and also at a pharmacy.  I may be old school but you treat the customer with respect unless the customer starts screaming obscenities at you or something of that nature.  I don't need special attention but rather be treated with respect from any sales person.  This is the last time I will reply as I have moved on and I am tired of justifying my experience.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Laura14  During my life I have worked in retail and also at a pharmacy.  I may be old school but you treat the customer with respect unless the customer starts screaming obscenities at you or something of that nature.  I don't need special attention but rather be treated with respect from any sales person.  This is the last time I will reply as I have moved on and I am tired of justifying my experience.

@Katcat1  I completely agree and I hope you have a much better experience with a better service staff.  

Super Contributor

wrote:

@makena  And who are you to judge?  Get a life.

"Get a life?"

Respected Contributor

I have a feeling there is more to the story than we are hearing.