Respected Contributor

Re: Good grief, no will

[ Edited ]

I heard this  Okay and was shocked- she was battling pancreatic cancer, one of the worst killer... No one thought to prepare documents? It’s extremely odd, or else very intentional- 

Honored Contributor

No one really knows all the dysfunction in other people's families, and I'm sure this one was/is no different, and has it's share.

People will do what they are going to do, and they are not going to do what they don't want to do. Who knows the reasons she did this, maybe she had some (not good ones, but maybe to make someone work for what they were going to get, or to make life difficult for someone?).

Yep the lawyers are going to be the ones to get rich, and I'm guessing she was either super stubborn about this, or had some hidden agenda, or simply didn't care about the money. 

Millions of people have parents pass on and get nothing, because they have nothing or because their parents think they should make their own way. Maybe she thought something like that. Maybe she was just not interested in what happened to her estate. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know the big deal about a will,

It's so easy to do.

I have had one for years, I'm not in good health, I've been living on borrowed time for many years.  But I don't have a big estate.    But I do want my kids to get it and it not be up for grabs in the hands of a judge.

My plan is to distribute before I go, even with a will, Probate is a PITA.

Maybe she didn't trust lawyers or paperwork.

If she does have a special needs son, she should have taken care of him.

Maybe she did, in another way

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I heard on the tv this morning that Aretha had no will.  The woman was with tens of millions of dollars and had a terminal illness.  It boggles the mind that she did not have a will.  She had sons who will now have to go through the courts to work it out and with her wealth and royalties from her music and contracts, it will be complicated and take a long time.  The lawyers will make a bundle off it.  And that's if everything goes smoothly.

But the thing that really bothered me is that a woman of such wealth didn't feel the need to leave any money to charities or special people in her life.  Perhaps other relatives or friends that she was close to.   Not just money.  Jewelry, art work.  My bff and I have been friends for 37 years, before I was even married.   She held high level corporate jobs,   and has more money and resources than anyone I know or will know.   She wants for nothing.  Still.  She's in my will, I want her to have the pearls that I inherited from my mother and a diamond and sapphire pin that was passed down from my grandmother.  She collects antique jewelry and would appreciate them in a way that my daughters would not. That's what popped into my head when I heard "no will".   Inheritance laws protect her sons but what about other people she cared for who cared for her?  

@chrystaltree   It was her choice...her business what she did or who she left anything to.....who are YOU to judge?   What YOU DO  Is YOUR BUSINESS.  So mind your own and do not  let what someone else does BOTHER YOU as you put it. 

Esteemed Contributor

My understanding that in MI if a person has no will, an executor will be appointed by the court and distribute the assets between her 4 children equally.  Perhaps that is what she intended all along.  The executor will get of some sort of payment usually established by the law. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  "Her will (or lack of ) is her business.   I don't know why people are bothered that she didn't leave $$ or other material things to those less fortunate-her estate, her decision."

As for the rest of your post....

Preach!!!.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Totally agree with you.   Some of the things posters stress over are ridiculous.   Her money her choice..  

Honored Contributor

Just another high horse to climb on top of. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Just another high horse to climb on top of. 

@GenXmuse  Hee hee.

Image result for riding a high horse

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor
Aretha supported many charities during her lifetime and was active in the civil rights movement.