Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

I checked my parish website. Many people have died in a short time. This was very disturbing. 

The church was open for 2 hours of private pray last week, and may have weekday mass with social distanting this week. People like me in a high risk group are not welcome. 

There are many churches in my area that have live screaming services on Facebook.

It will take all of us to reach a new normal. 

@Nuttmeg 

Well auto correct just gave me my laugh of the day as I pictured your screaming services! 🥴

@shoesnbags

I fixed my mistake when I saw it a few minutes ago.

I Laughed. Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Any one other than the Bishop making the decision to keep the churches closed is unacceptable.

I think it is time to let churches decide. The ministry and their congregants need to look at their local conditions and make decisions as to how, when, and where to begin opening their services again.

With rights come responsibilities, and some will make good choices, and safe choices, some will not. But what we are dealing with is now very well know by everyone (as much as we can know at this point) and it's time to let people resume their rights, and see where this goes. The great thing about church, is that those that don't think it safe, or not enough safeguards have been taken, can still sit back and wait. 

I worry about the workplace. Most people have to get back at it, and won't have an option to sit that out. That is the area I feel is most scary to begin navigating again, for those that have been home all this time. 

Honored Contributor

Our church is pretty large, 2 services, both well attended.  Last week they sent out an email with questions about reopening and how everyone felt.

No decision has been made, we were told they would let us know one day this week of their decision.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Any one other than the Bishop making the decision to keep the churches closed is unacceptable.

I think it is time to let churches decide. The ministry and their congregants need to look at their local conditions and make decisions as to how, when, and where to begin opening their services again.

With rights come responsibilities, and some will make good choices, and safe choices, some will not. But what we are dealing with is now very well know by everyone (as much as we can know at this point) and it's time to let people resume their rights, and see where this goes. The great thing about church, is that those that don't think it safe, or not enough safeguards have been taken, can still sit back and wait. 

I worry about the workplace. Most people have to get back at it, and won't have an option to sit that out. That is the area I feel is most scary to begin navigating again, for those that have been home all this time. 

There have been too many cases of spread directly related to church activities. They are akin to any large gathering, worse because they are indoors. When it's deemed safe for large gatherings, inside or outside, then fine. I don't see the rationale for an exception for churches. Thankfully, most are heeding the necessary restrictions.

And your argument that if someone doesn't want to go, they can
"sit back and wait" is one that is used for any restriction that some don't like.

@Mominohio 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

This morning I read about church services in early to mid May that have been tied to an outbreak, can't remember what state. The pastor and parishioners were infected.

They believe it was most likely due to singing. Not to be gross but that's basically projectile droplets. Don't know why they were singing and weren't wearing masks. You can certainly worship without singing.

I don't think people are singing in Walmart or the grocery store or a hair salon. And I don't know where anyone gets the idea that certain people want to keep churches closed-or maybe I do.

Churches should not be exempt from taking the proper precautions. Of all places they should be eager to protect people, love and care for our fellow humans being paramount.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

With all due respect, bishops, pastors, priests, aren't medical or science experts and therefore shouldn't be making the decisions to open the churches.  They should only be listening to the experts , not those who are clueless and have motives. First and foremost is the health and well being of the church members.

Trusted Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

my church is open, but only up to 25%. does that mean i drive all the way there only hoping to get in? no thanks. they'll start streaming the mass, which i think is a great idea. i'll wait for that. for now, we listen to the pope's mass every sunday. 

We have been watching EWTN for daily Mass and on Sunday. A lot of it is in Latin but we have adjusted.  The music is absolutely beautiful!!  Another thing, nothing is rushed and remindes me of my youth. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most of my in-laws live in MI; they are not happy with so many illogical restrictions (still haven't figured out why you could not buy paint or seeds) but they have enjoyed the live-streaming church services and their church is also going to continue it as an option for members, even when churches open up again. 

Honored Contributor

The rationale for the exception for churches goes back to the idea of separation of church and state in the Constitution.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
The rationale for the exception for churches goes back to the idea of separation of church and state in the Constitution.

@Pearlee, could you elaborate on that, because I don't understand how the separation of Church and State means that churches are exempt from safety restrictions.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland