Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,069
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought


@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mominohio wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Any one other than the Bishop making the decision to keep the churches closed is unacceptable.


 

I think it is time to let churches decide. The ministry and their congregants need to look at their local conditions and make decisions as to how, when, and where to begin opening their services again.

 

With rights come responsibilities, and some will make good choices, and safe choices, some will not. But what we are dealing with is now very well know by everyone (as much as we can know at this point) and it's time to let people resume their rights, and see where this goes. The great thing about church, is that those that don't think it safe, or not enough safeguards have been taken, can still sit back and wait. 

 

I worry about the workplace. Most people have to get back at it, and won't have an option to sit that out. That is the area I feel is most scary to begin navigating again, for those that have been home all this time. 


There have been too many cases of spread directly related to church activities. They are akin to any large gathering, worse because they are indoors. When it's deemed safe for large gatherings, inside or outside, then fine. I don't see the rationale for an exception for churches. Thankfully, most are heeding the necessary restrictions.

 

And your argument that if someone doesn't want to go, they can
"sit back and wait" is one that is used for any restriction that some don't like.

 

@mominohio 


 

It's time that people's basic constitutional rights are no longer infringed upon from the federal or state governments, @suzyQ3 

 

If large stores can be open with hundreds of people seen in them socially distanced, it can be done in places like churches. 

 

We have seen this virus spread through prisons and meat packing plants because of the close range similar to traditional church services, but both are still open and functioning (even ordered to be). Look at the bars opening, and the foolish behavior that has occurred, but they are still open.People's religious freedoms are at least as important as a constant supply of meat or a beer with friends, and not seeing that would mean a real lack of understanding of the constitution. 

 

Depending on where one lives, there are all kinds of 'inside' things opening up and saying churches cannot do this, if they make every effort to distance, sanitize etc. is just criminal. 

 

I've seen a number of religious leaders on interviews explaining how they are going to set up worship services, distance and limit people, increase number of services, and how and where they are held. They seem to have every bit as well thought out plans as restaurants and hair salons, so I don't agree that they should be singled out any longer as closed.

 

Again, there will be those that handle this badly. But that is going to happen in every aspect of society. Open things up, set some guidelines, and when they aren't followed, shut down those that won't. But this picking and choosing what is allowed and not, has gone too far, with little logic behind much of what we are now seeing.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,220
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought

@willdob3 

 

Thank goodness weekly services are online.  Only 3 present.  The technical support person, the music director at the piano and the pastor.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,220
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought

[ Edited ]

@Pearley 

 

Not disagreeing with the Bishop's decision.  Sharing a feeling of disappointment.  Akin to missing your children if you can't see or be near them.  

 

Services have been made available online since the lockdown and I've not missed one.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,192
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought

[ Edited ]

@mominohio wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mominohio wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Any one other than the Bishop making the decision to keep the churches closed is unacceptable.


 

I think it is time to let churches decide. The ministry and their congregants need to look at their local conditions and make decisions as to how, when, and where to begin opening their services again.

 

With rights come responsibilities, and some will make good choices, and safe choices, some will not. But what we are dealing with is now very well know by everyone (as much as we can know at this point) and it's time to let people resume their rights, and see where this goes. The great thing about church, is that those that don't think it safe, or not enough safeguards have been taken, can still sit back and wait. 

 

I worry about the workplace. Most people have to get back at it, and won't have an option to sit that out. That is the area I feel is most scary to begin navigating again, for those that have been home all this time. 


There have been too many cases of spread directly related to church activities. They are akin to any large gathering, worse because they are indoors. When it's deemed safe for large gatherings, inside or outside, then fine. I don't see the rationale for an exception for churches. Thankfully, most are heeding the necessary restrictions.

 

And your argument that if someone doesn't want to go, they can
"sit back and wait" is one that is used for any restriction that some don't like.

 

@mominohio 


 

It's time that people's basic constitutional rights are no longer infringed upon from the federal or state governments, @suzyQ3 

 

If large stores can be open with hundreds of people seen in them socially distanced, it can be done in places like churches. 

 

We have seen this virus spread through prisons and meat packing plants because of the close range similar to traditional church services, but both are still open and functioning (even ordered to be). Look at the bars opening, and the foolish behavior that has occurred, but they are still open.People's religious freedoms are at least as important as a constant supply of meat or a beer with friends, and not seeing that would mean a real lack of understanding of the constitution. 

 

Depending on where one lives, there are all kinds of 'inside' things opening up and saying churches cannot do this, if they make every effort to distance, sanitize etc. is just criminal. 

 

I've seen a number of religious leaders on interviews explaining how they are going to set up worship services, distance and limit people, increase number of services, and how and where they are held. They seem to have every bit as well thought out plans as restaurants and hair salons, so I don't agree that they should be singled out any longer as closed.

 

Again, there will be those that handle this badly. But that is going to happen in every aspect of society. Open things up, set some guidelines, and when they aren't followed, shut down those that won't. But this picking and choosing what is allowed and not, has gone too far, with little logic behind much of what we are now seeing.


@mominohio, as I said, large gatherings were prohibited and for good reason. As far as I know, they are still prohibited.

 

Please see #Post 58 by @pitdakota  for the valid reasons. Thankfully, most churches are able to have virtual contact.

 

 


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,657
Registered: ‎06-17-2015

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought


@prettychis wrote:

All this talk about a bunch of people being exposed to the virus at churches, hair salons etc never seems to include Walmart and grocery stores. Makes me wonder why not. I know my local sushi place came out and said one of the employees had the virus and some people may have been exposed. Of course they weren't open for dining in.I really wonder how many people have been exposed at stores. It's not like it's not happening just no one is telling us these stats. 


@prettychis   I don't know about every area in the country but in my area the daily stats include "community" as one source of infection.

The "community" designation is used when no other source can be indentified, such as a family member or a nursing home.

 

Unfortunately places such as Wal-Mart and other stores needed to stay open.  People need food and other necessities.

 

Can you imagine if every store was shut down?  There would have been mass civil disobedience.

 

""Out beyond the ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there." -Rumi
Highlighted
QVC Customer Care
Posts: 1,717
Registered: ‎06-14-2015

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,640
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought

[ Edited ]

@pommom wrote:

@Pearley 

 

Not disagreeing with the Bishop's decision.  Sharing a feeling of disappointment.  Akin to missing your children if you can't see or be near them.  

 

Services have been made available online since the lockdown and I've not missed one.


Not all churches are available online, and not all people have Internet/computer  available.  Just another case of those with money have options while those with less resources have to do without.

Don't be so afraid of dying that you forget how to live.
Highlighted
QVC Customer Care
Posts: 1,366
Registered: ‎06-14-2015

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought

This post has been removed by QVC challenging mods decision

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,833
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought


@prettychis wrote:

All this talk about a bunch of people being exposed to the virus at churches, hair salons etc never seems to include Walmart and grocery stores. Makes me wonder why not. I know my local sushi place came out and said one of the employees had the virus and some people may have been exposed. Of course they weren't open for dining in.I really wonder how many people have been exposed at stores. It's not like it's not happening just no one is telling us these stats. 


You are right it is happening but the difference is we still have to eat and so the risk is essential.We are told to wear masks in the store to help stop the spread.

If you follow the rate of infection for healthcare workers it seems they have a much lower rate than the rest of us so masks do work.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,892
Registered: ‎08-21-2014

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought


@Cakers wrote:

@prettychis wrote:

All this talk about a bunch of people being exposed to the virus at churches, hair salons etc never seems to include Walmart and grocery stores. Makes me wonder why not. I know my local sushi place came out and said one of the employees had the virus and some people may have been exposed. Of course they weren't open for dining in.I really wonder how many people have been exposed at stores. It's not like it's not happening just no one is telling us these stats. 


@prettychis   I don't know about every area in the country but in my area the daily stats include "community" as one source of infection.

The "community" designation is used when no other source can be indentified, such as a family member or a nursing home.

 

Unfortunately places such as Wal-Mart and other stores needed to stay open.  People need food and other necessities.

 

Can you imagine if every store was shut down?  There would have been mass civil disobedience.

 


They could have done pickup only. People do not need to go inside a store to get groceries. If someone doesn't have a computer they could have a menu like my local Walgreens. But really the whole point is these numbers of people getting the virus or having the virus who went to these places is not being talked about. Only places some want to stay closed.