Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,484
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!

[ Edited ]

A friend of mine went to the grocery store....she had gotten her paycheck and also her stimulus check the week before....so her checking account had plenty of money she loaded a portion to her "spending card" with her Bank.....When she went to pay----her purchase was declined....She couldnt figure out...why....  A nice person behind her paid for her groceries (luckily she just had a few items)....  She went home and called her Bank....And this is what they told her----that particular grocery store she went to was a hot bed of people going around with those skimming devices to capture the info on chip of the credit card (spending card)....so the Bank Rep recommended an RFID wallet or purse.....  

 

SO JUST BEWARE FOLKS! If it happened in our city, it could happen in yours.....

 

P.S. She did call the Store Manager to let him know what was going on too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 482
Registered: ‎02-10-2014

Re: You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!

Thanks for the heads up. Where does your friend live?
Highlighted
Contributor
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎09-20-2019

Re: You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!

Never ceases to amaze me on how low & nasty human beings can be. Sad ... 😬🤐😞😖
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 307
Registered: ‎03-06-2020

Re: You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!

I've been using them ever since a friend of mine had her cards scanned at the airport between flights. She was on a business trip and be the time she went from Atlanta to San Fran, her checking had been drained and all her credit cards maxed out. She found out when she went to pick up her rental car. It was a living hell for her.

 

I have one RIFD clutch but purchased a small CC case that fits into any wallet or slides into a pocket/tiny purse. It's fantastic and gives me peace of mind.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,608
Registered: ‎11-24-2013

Re: You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!

I've had that kind of wallet for years. Wouldn't be without it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,484
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!


@Crow Witch  wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. Where does your friend live?

@Crow Witch  

 

We live in South Texas

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,230
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!

[ Edited ]

@SPURT wrote:

A friend of mine went to the grocery store....she had gotten her paycheck and also her stimulus check the week before....so her checking account had plenty of money she loaded a portion to her "spending card" with her Bank.....When she went to pay----her purchase was declined....She couldnt figure out...why....  A nice person behind her paid for her groceries (luckily she just had a few items)....  She went home and called her Bank....And this is what they told her----that particular grocery store she went to was a hot bed of people going around with those skimming devices to capture the info on chip of the credit card (spending card)....so the Bank Rep recommended an RFID wallet or purse.....  

 

SO JUST BEWARE FOLKS! If it happened in our city, it could happen in yours.....

 

P.S. She did call the Store Manager to let him know what was going on too....


@SPURT How do the scammers get the three digit code from the back of a card in order to use the card? I'm thinking it is more likely that a fit over skimming device was on her ATM or her gas pump. These devices are common. Then there are clerks and waiters that can also or use their own device to copy the card and get the back three digit code.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,484
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@SPURT wrote:

A friend of mine went to the grocery store....she had gotten her paycheck and also her stimulus check the week before....so her checking account had plenty of money she loaded a portion to her "spending card" with her Bank.....When she went to pay----her purchase was declined....She couldnt figure out...why....  A nice person behind her paid for her groceries (luckily she just had a few items)....  She went home and called her Bank....And this is what they told her----that particular grocery store she went to was a hot bed of people going around with those skimming devices to capture the info on chip of the credit card (spending card)....so the Bank Rep recommended an RFID wallet or purse.....  

 

SO JUST BEWARE FOLKS! If it happened in our city, it could happen in yours.....

 

P.S. She did call the Store Manager to let him know what was going on too....


@SPURT How do the scammers get the three digit code from the back of a card in order to use the card? I'm thinking it is more likely that a fit over skimming device was on her ATM or her gas pump. These devices are common. Then there are clerks and waiters that cone or use their own device to copy the card and get the back three digit code.


@Mindy D 

 

She's been staying home the grocery store was the only place she went...

 

These they walk around with these devices, the Bank told her these were not the skimmers they insert in the ATM or Gas pumps...and the chip on your card has the code...

 

Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) is the use of radio waves to read and capture information stored on a chip attached to an object. An RFID chip can be read from up to several feet away. RFID chips, or “tags,” have been used by businesses for years to manage inventory and shipments, and they have been used in access badges 

for security systems.

 

RFID chips have been used to make credit cards that can be read without being scanned through a machine, and they have also been added to some passports and driver’s licenses. The idea is to improve convenience and security—sort of like grocery stores without checkout lines because your purchases and credit card are automatically read on your way out the door. However, security experts have shown that a thief with an RFID reader could also steal your credit card number or personal information just walking by you.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Contributor
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎08-02-2019

Re: You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!

I purchased the RIFD sleeves for my credit cards and passport at REI, a sporting goods store. Very inexpensive and my purse did not have the RIFD feature so I needed these.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,257
Registered: ‎10-15-2018

Re: You May Need Those RIFD Wallets & Purses!!!

Just last week someone opened up a Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Claim, using my name, DOB and Social Security Number. To date there has been close to $5000.00 deposited into someone's bank account in my name! I'm waiting to hear back from the Unemployment Fraud Department but I was told there is a lot of fraud happening now and they are probably backed up dealing with these fraud situations. UGH!!!! No matter how careful you are someone will always find a way to be dishonest!!! What a mess!!