Valued Contributor

Re: Going to the Library....Books!

No. I always have a book that I am reading. I usually read 4-5 books a week. If I do not have a book I am reading I get depressed, sounds crazy but it is true.  I love our library.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

I only read on the kindle now. I had so many books, it looked like Barnes & Noble. I donated to the library and local book sales, and kept some old favorites. I can hold a huge library in my hand, and I'm a happy reader.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I use my public library often - I still love to read, still belong to a great book club, and just generally feel that the library makes great use of my tax dollars.

In no way does anything else take the place of books for me.

Honored Contributor

I used to read constantly.  Now I read mostly magazines (ie. "Wired", Smithsonian Magazine, trash magazines (Star, People, etc).  But I do read a lot just not for long periods of time.

My grandchildren read constantly.  I take them to the bookstore a few times a month.  I don't mind spending the money because they either keep them or pass them on to friends or donate them.

I did (on the last trip with them) get Bill O'Reilley's new book called "Legends & Lies - the Civil War".  I love anything about the Civil War and have read some amazing books, especially historical fiction.

I don't like reading books from my Ipads, it gives me a headache to read for very long.

I enjoy feeling the pages of books and going back over them.  I don't think things can take the place of a book.

Super Contributor

I prefer a book to my iPad or any other electronic device. Nothing like the smell and the feel of crisp clean pages of a new book! Can't get that from an electronic device! I find as I get older I am reading less which is disheartening. I use to always be reading a book. Probably the best book I have read in the last year was 'The Nightengale' by Kristen Hannah. I didn't want it to end. Some other of my favorites are 'Year of Wonders'' by Geraldine Brooks and 'The Forgotten Gatden' by Kate Morton. Check them out and see if they interest you next time you go to the library! Happy reading!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Very interesting question!  I, too, used to read a lot.  Haven't read a book in the past year.  I never really thought about that before....but I do believe it is because I am on my computer and iPad so much.  

Now I'm feeling obligated to pull out a book and read it!  

Trusted Contributor

Love our library and go frequently. It's especially helpful that I can reserve books online from a large system and get texts and emails notifying me when the books are in.  I get most recommendations right here!

Honored Contributor

I mostly download books from Amazon so I don't have to rush reading to get it back to the library.  @SeaMaiden  download the website bookbub.com for daily offerings of discounted books. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have loved to read ever since I could read as a child.  We have a wonderful library here and I am grateful.  Before access to a large library years ago, I would buy books from book clubs (don't even think they have book clubs now) or buy in paperback.  If I had to purchase every book I read each month, I wouldn't have money for anything else.  Thank goodness for our libraries.  I read several hours every day and read several books a week.  Right now I have 13 checked out from the library.  I always read the new ones from my reserved list first as I know others are waiting on them; then I go on to my older selections that I can renew.  I don't know what I would do without a book to read.  Always looking for new authors I haven't read.  It is getting harder to find books I haven't read unless they are new releases.  Always look forward to searching Barnes & Nobel Comling Soon and finding new books coming out by my favorite authors.  I immediately put them on my saved list at the library then onto reserve as they become available.  I think I will go to Barnes & Nobel site now - I haven't checked Coming Soon for a month or so.

And no, I do not want to read from the internet or a kindle e-books.  I want a real books to curl up in my chair and read.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I get my books from the library. I read 4or 5 a week. Love to read. 

Me too.