Respected Contributor

Going from owning to renting

I sold my house for cash to a group that flips old homes and will be moving to a first floor, one bedroom apartment with a small den, and a stackable washer/dryer - best part!) next week. It's a house converted into apartments and there's a front porch to sit out on and people watch. I'll still be in the same town, which I enjoy living in.

Financially it will be better as there's no more property taxes, water/trash/sewer bills, and THREE separate utilities (oil heat, propane for hot water, and electric) to pay which left me with little left over for other expenses. I will be getting renter's insurance, the landlord requires it. The location is great and since I have no car, it's a shorter walk to the bus stop for work and back to home, and I can walk to places downtown, the park, the library, and 7-11. The packing up and clearing unwanted stuff out is a chore though, no wonder most hardly move! But in the end it will be worth it. I don't need a lot of space and cleaning will be easier. It'll be sad leaving the home I grew up in and inherited from my grandfather, but I'm excited to make a clean slate and start a new journey.
Honored Contributor

Re: Going from owning to renting

Congratulations @Cumbercookie13!!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Sit back and enjoy!  I hope you love it and I hope you and your neighborhood are a great fit.  Sounds like a smart move to me!

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a change for the better, @Cumbercookie13

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Lucky you, I live in a small home on a lot of property and as my husband and I age it's getting to be a problem for us. Too much up keep, physically and financially. We could sell our property for big bucks tomorrow, but my husband isn't ready yet. I would be very happy to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in the city where everything is close by. Enjoy your freedom.

Honored Contributor

Your apartment sounds great, it gets harder every year to keep up with the needs of an old house.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13It's a huge decision, but I love your attitude.  Hope the journey is smooth as can be. 

I sympathize with the whole sorting and packing thing.  It's a slog, but in the end I expect we'll hear you've accomplished what you set out to do.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I did that when I moved back home (NYC) from SF Bay area after DH died.

We had a four bedroom house ... I now live in one bedroom apt.  So much less work.  If anything breaks, I call the management office and they send someone to fix it.  Plenty of amenities.  And, I can lock the door and take off for vacation w/o worrying about anything here.

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13  Sounds like a lovely arrangement.  Wishing you happiness in your new home!

Valued Contributor

Wishing you a blessed new beginning! Enjoy!!! Heart