Honored Contributor

Re: Going from owning to renting

My sister and her husband moved here after retirement from new Jersey to Wisconsin. They sold their home in New Jersey, and when they moved here they decided to Rent.

The said it will be easier. The were super lucky and found a 3 bedroom/2 bath home several blocks from the lake to rent......It is really nice and the neighborhood is just charming....

Their landlord seems to be super nice, and my sister said for the most part minds their own business, so a lot of that depends on where you rent and who you rent from......

They are really enjoying not having to worry about repairs, taxes, etc........ 

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 best of luck to you in your new adventure!  I love your outlook!

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Lucky you, I live in a small home on a lot of property and as my husband and I age it's getting to be a problem for us. Too much up keep, physically and financially. We could sell our property for big bucks tomorrow, but my husband isn't ready yet. I would be very happy to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in the city where everything is close by. Enjoy your freedom.

We are in the same situation.  I love our home and where we live, but the futures' reality causes me anxiety.  We probably wouldn't make a bundle if we sold our home as it is only 2 bedroom and one bath on four acres.  My husband is a take a day at a time kind of guy.  He says I will outlive him, which is probably true because he is older and has chronic illnesses.  It pains me that he doesn't seem concerned about the difficulties I will face should he pass in ten years.  Except for my brother I will have to deal with everything alone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cumbercookie13 Congrats to YOU!!

We owned for 16 years and then rented for 6 years. To tell you the truth, the only reason we bought again 3 years ago was in order to have a rental property for our son to provide income after we're gone. There are many benefits to renting over owning; it was a tough choice for us. 

Back in my parents day, owning made a LOT of sense. Now? Not so much (IMHO). It's often a tough call to make,sadly.

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13  Congratulations!  You are going to love living worry free ----  just pay the rent and relax.  No more gas bills, etc.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@AuntG Definitely, it will be a lot more convienient. My current house is a 15 minute walk to the bus stop -not bad, but it's down a hill and I have to cross a dangerous intersection and a main highway to get there. And when the weather is bad, it's even worse. There's also no bus stop to get back, so I either walk, take a cab, or rely on my mom and stepdad. This way, they no longer have to do it.

Honored Contributor

That is wonderful.

When we went from renting to owning some 30 yrs ago it was a huge adjustment for dh and myself. It took a while to get settled in. We just a small 3 bedroom 1 floor house. We like it. It may be out of date, but dh and I are still happy owning right now. Who knows what we will feel like in 5 years (we are in retirement age now--dh is still working full time --he enjoys his job and his work still likes him hanging around and train in the young "kids" on the job).

Honored Contributor

What a lovely arrangement that sounds like. I’m sure you’ll be very happy!

Honored Contributor

Enjoy your new freedom!

Image result for woman jumping for joy image

Respected Contributor

Congratulations!  I think you will be happy and it'll be a good fit for you.  Dad lived with me when he could no longer live alone and when he died I lived in an apartment for a year while I was having a home built in an over 55 community. I worried about going back to shared walls but it was much better than I expected.  The grounds were beautiful, the amenities were great and they would hold events to get the ppl involved in the community (1/2 marathons, resident appreciation days where they'd have hot chocolate and cookies during the winter, occasionally show movies, etc).  

I chose to have a one level home built in an over 55 community where everything is done for us - they are all single family homes.  It was just another option and here they shovel snow and cut our individual lawns but having lived in an apartment, I know that should I ever decide to sell this, I'd not hesitate one bit moving back to an apartment.