Esteemed Contributor

Re: Going from owning to renting

@Financialgrl, nice to see you posting.  Haven't in awhile or maybe I have just missed them.  Your arrangement sounds great.

@Cumbercookie13, good for you!  I know the moving is hard but a forced cleanup will be great in the long run.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good for you. We do what works. I've been contemplating the choice to rent should I leave my current home. I honestly see fewer and fewer advantages to home ownership and lots of cost and responsibilities. Some say 'but you'll never own it' and I ask, 'so what'... For me, ownership seemed more compelling at one time than it does now...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Financialgrl, nice to see you posting.  Haven't in awhile or maybe I have just missed them.  Your arrangement sounds great.

@Cumbercookie13, good for you!  I know the moving is hard but a forced cleanup will be great in the long run.  Good luck!  LM

@Lilysmom  I haven't posted in a long while.  I used to travel a lot with two friends. I'd known both (man and a woman) for 35 years and we travellled up a storm once they both lost spouses about 10 years ago.

In 2017 shortly after moving into my new home, we were getting ready resume travelling.  Then  the man dropped dead of a stroke.   Six months later the woman was dead.  So I spent the last 6 months reinventing where to go from here.  I'm getting myself more involved in this community while becoming reacquainted with some friends I graduated HS.   Moved to VA at 13 -  I've moved 4 times but never farther than 50 miles from that first home here in VA!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Financialgrl, significant changes for you.  I am sorry for your loss.  In retirement, it is so hard to lose good friends, especially travelling partners.  I remember your love of travel.

I hope you continue posting.  

I have recently become more active in my community.  It opens the door to new friendships.  Participation in one committee has led to another.  I think I will draw the line there for awhile.  

Take care.  LM

Honored Contributor

Best wishes in your new home!!!