Honored Contributor

Re: Going from owning to renting

You made a good choice especially because you do not drive and are closer to public transportation.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG I think you will be happier having less responsibilities to worry about in your apartment.I hope you love it and meet some wonderful new friends too.

Trusted Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 Enjoy your new place! Maintenance free sounds awesome!

Honored Contributor

Another chapter in life, and as with most of them, there is an element of sorrow as well as one of excitement. I'm most impressed with your excitement and positive outlook about this. It seems as though you have thought this through, and accepted the reality of your situation, something many struggle with and put off until they are in dire need of making a change. Sounds like you have taken the bull by the horns, and are well on your way.

Congratulations for being strong, knowing what you need, and focusing in all the improvements that will be coming in life, rather than lamenting what will be lost. 

You are definitely embracing a new and exciting time. Enjoy the transition, and the new life with less stress. And be proud of yourself for all you are accomplishing with this move and this new start!

New Contributor

It is easier, just one caviat, landlords raise the rent to cover things like property taxes, water, sewer, trash etc.  Check out your landlords and, if possible, talk to other renters.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Upward and onward to a new adventure.  I think you will have fun creating your new nest.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck with your new life!!

Respected Contributor

The number of people renting is really growing. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@Cumbercookie13  Enjoy your journey, may you thrive!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congratulations!  Sounds like you'll adapt well.

I'm not that easy...lol.

My husband works around the country at times and is put in corporate housing--not always apartments--sometimes homes.

What I don't like about it, when they (landlords/maintenance) wants to come in--they can just come in.  I mean within reason, they usually give a heads up, but I hate the thought of someone invading my space--and I have no say in it. 

And it's usually little things like furnace filters, smoke alarm tests, etc.  But when I'm staying with him there, it really is an inconvenience.

At home, if I don't answer the door, that's it.  You're NOT going to let yourself in to my domain.  Your master key won't work here....

Also, we found that in several states, you DO have to pay school taxes, etc. --even if you rent.  (We made his company reimburse us for that.)  Just check to be sure.