Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Congratulations!!!

I am just now finishing my PhD, which I have been pursuing part time while working full-time and funding it all myself for the last 8 years. Before that, I was working full-time and pursued my masters degree for 10 years -- paid for most of it myself.

I have loved the academic experience every step of the way. It can be difficult, but your brain will always be engaged!

Honored Contributor

Re: Going back to school

[ Edited ]

YES, one of the few things that can't be taken from you....an education!  I received my BA at an older age and went back for a masters over 30 years later!  I'm still considering a Phd and reviewing different schools for costs.  I've done this while working full time and having other plates full.  You can do this and feel so rewarded when you get your degree.  I hope you don't let others or their perception of you for doing this at a later age (I've faced this discrimination; however, never from classmates) stop you.  Stay strong and focused in your goals and always keep in mind that the time will pass no matter, so keep pursuing your dreams.  Find people who will support you, as there will be times when you want to give up....DON't.  I always encourage education.  Sometimes I will encourage a person to obtain their degree at a later age, and it opens a possibility that they never considered.  They are so grateful and surprised to have the support and confirmation that they are capable and by no means should they let age stop them from pursuing an education.  I am so proud of the women on this board and you will have so much respect for yourself.  Go sister!

Respected Contributor

I went back to school @ 32 yrs. old-night school, w/a 5 year old and as a single mother. I worked from 7-3 as a very poorly paid pre-school teacher , school from 4-10 (my Mom, who is a saint helped.)

Finished BA in 2.5 years-magna ****** laude. M.Ed in 18 months on deans list most of the way (I had a Math class that skewed my GPA. ).

Family members told me I was being a professional student, getting my m.Ed. It wasnt necessary; but has proven to be the best investment of time and money in my career as an educator. Looking back, I think I had lost my mind at the time.

Go for it.

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady

@StylishLady wrote:

Married late,

How late is late for marriage?

My last two years I lived on campus as a full time student.

Did you sneak your DH into your dorm room at night before the doors locked??? Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

When my husband died I was 30 yr old and I went back to get my BS in nursing because the hospital apid my tuition.

Respected Contributor

I was going on 29 when I was married to DH, over 52 years ago. In those days it was like being an old maid. Funny comment about DH visiting me when I was a full time student. I had a single room in a "special" dorm for "older" students. DH would visit on most weekends. He joked about "shacking up" with a college girl.

It certainly was a different time for the both of us, but I have fond memories.

Honored Contributor

So wowed by you ladies going back to school and achieving so much!  I feel guilty as I never had a great desire for furthering my education. In fact I  can not imagine studying or taking tests..... Again

Trusted Contributor

It's never too late. I have an aunt who keeps telling me that "going to school at your age is silly. Why do that? To get a better job? No one is going to want to hire you at your age - you need to be thinking about retirement and not spending money on tuition. You're too old."

You will hear naysayers along the way. Don't be dissuaded or discouraged.

I'm 57 -- to quote from a famous scene in a Monty Python movie: "I'm not dead yet!"

Honored Contributor

Uh-oh.  More student loans to pay down. 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Uh-oh.  More student loans to pay down

LOL.... just think of it as car payments... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*