Honored Contributor

Gnats and "no seeums

[ Edited ]

In the south I believe they are called No see-ums; in the northern states, "gnats."

this is one insect I am not willing to save. I have often spent too many minutes trying to chase one around!🙄

they do seem to come out in the spring and summer and around lights and lamps and mirrors and

bathrooms. They drive me nuts!

Of course there are other unmentionables. I'd better stop!

I'll have to remember from someone mentioning here awhile ago that you can get them with a bowl of dish liquid and vinegar. I did try that last year and it did help! (But also kind of gross)!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Knats and "no seeums

[ Edited ]

I don't know whether they are gnats or tiny black flies that bite causing itchy welts the size of mosquito bites.  

I can't go out without wearing long pants and sleeves or spraying on a bug repellent.  They seem to be waiting at the door for me.  Yes, they are so small I can't see them, but do a lot of damage.  

They are so bad here, the state used to spray every year, but now complain about budget cuts.  

This is another reason for disliking Spring and Summer.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen gnats in years. Used to see lots of them when as a kid visited grandparents in Kansas. I grew up in So. Cal. and don't recall any gnats there.

Esteemed Contributor

these and anything else goes after DH     nothing on me

he says cause he's so sweet      guess I'm not

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids .

When I visited San diego with my aunt, an incredibly beautiful city!, I always remember the weather was a perfect non humid blue sky not too hot summer day!

I wonder if these annoying insects only like the humidity?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I dislike gnats but I absolutely hate ticks!

I’ve been treated for Lyme Disease and two summers in a row, I’ve had to treat my gelding for Lyme, too! Grrrr

Respected Contributor

Re: Knats and "no seeums

[ Edited ]

I'm here in the dry desert and I  don't open my windows anymore because every spring and summer they come right through the screen.

Still, I'm seeing them in the house anyway.

Can't sit down for more than a few minutes

and sure enough there will be one trying to land on me.

So annoying how they fly in your face

and try to land on you and your food

And their bites leave an extremely itchy

blister that takes a long time to go

away. 

(The vinegar trick does help.)

Honored Contributor

I don't know what they are --- I call them gnats --- but lately when I have walked outside -- suddenly there are swarms of them as I am walking down a sidewalk!  Icccck!  I have to swat and waive my hands to clear them away or they will go up my nose and in my eyes!  They are everywhere!  It is not even particularly warm yet, or humid - so I don't know what the deal is!  I am already getting nervous for the warmer weather because last year I got bitten a few times and had really bad reactions to something and had to go to the doctor for treatment!  Now, I can't even go out of my own house without long sleeves and pants (hot) and/or some yucky bug spray!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I don't know whether they are gnats or tiny black flies that bite causing itchy welts the size of mosquito bites.  

I can't go out without wearing long pants and tops or spraying on a bug repellent.  They seem to be waiting at the door for me.  Yes, they are so small I can't see them, but do a lot of damage.  

They are so bad here, the state used to spray every year, but now complain about budget cuts.  

This is another reason for disliking Spring and Summer.  

I like the fall when these things all go away and the air gets crisp and the leaves are all pretty colors.  These no see um's, I see um!  We can't get um though.  LOL!!!!

Trusted Contributor

We put up an insect strip outside near the entrance to our home, (lovely to look at Woman Mad) unfortunately I have to keep reminding my husband it's there so his head doesn't run into it. He says it doesn't work yet it's full of gnats and needs to be replaced.