Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids California - I wonder if the ocean breezes are too strong for the bugs to navigate.....against.

In NYS what I call gnats - they collect in a flying round formation - hundreds of them - and they just keep flying in this group.   Never had a bite from them - you can see them late afternoon as the sun is preparing to set.  

If they bothered me outside.......I'd spray this flying formation with RAID - 

In the kitchen I see single small bugs and call them fruit flies.

Esteemed Contributor

Gnats, no seeums, midges, whatever you call them have basically the same requirements as mosquitos.  They like warm weather and humid conditions.  Standing water is a breeding ground.

I am diligent about eliminating standing water around my home but living in a rural area it is impossible to get all the nearby places where water can collect.

I have had a lot of success with my Dynatrap and rarely am bothered by flying insects of any kind.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

Down The Shore in Jersey we call those peskey gross things no see-ums too, certain breezes will bring them in and forget having a great day on the sand in the sun! 

I think they are the "teeny cousins" to the greenheads - they work in tandem to get bathers off the beach and on to the boards - at least the merchants have better sales on those days.

But gotta agree...yuck, they ruin the best of beach days, and I'd be totally creeped if they got into my kitchen. Worse than fruit flys.

Honored Contributor

I feel your pain, and Im amazed that the gnats even survived our unusual artic freeze we had hear in Texas Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor
The no-see-ums are already out again this year...they are just appearing due to a bitter cold snap. I don’t notice them until it is almost dark. Have been cleaning up my flower beds and have to wear long sleeves and long pants but they still manage to get me. Gnats are different and I can see them. When I overwater an indoor plant, gnats show up right away. Have already put out the mosquito bits.....
Honored Contributor

one word......DYNATRAP.......yes, it really does work.

maryland area here and we generally call them gnats. i have heard people use the term "no-see-ums." worse than those though......the horse flies that bite on the beach......they love me!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein