Honored Contributor

Re: Gift For School Bus Drver?

I would definately do a gift card to a grocery store that also had gas, or a walmart.

Trusted Contributor

My personal opinion is give nothing.  I can't imagine a high school student feeling comfortable giving a gift to a bus driver 

Honored Contributor

I'm miffed as to how giving a gift would make anyone uncomfortable. Is sending thank you notes a source of discomfort too?

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain   Guess you don't know teenagers very well.   

Respected Contributor

@Junebug54, I live with a teenager who must have above average manners and self esteem. He doesn’t mind showing appreciation to others.
Trusted Contributor

@RollTide2008  That's wonderful.   I guess my sons didn't have any manners.

Honored Contributor

I think it would be a very nice and Christmassy thing to do.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems inappropriate to me.  Bus drivers are paid to do a job, there is no personal service involved outside of their job.  I also think it might make other kids feel bad for not giving a gift.

Also, in today's world you have to be really careful about who you would be giving it to and what they might think.  So I wouldn't go there to be really honest. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SoonerLater wrote:

It seems inappropriate to me.  Bus drivers are paid to do a job, there is no personal service involved outside of their job.  I also think it might make other kids feel bad for not giving a gift.

Also, in today's world you have to be really careful about who you would be giving it to and what they might think.  So I wouldn't go there to be really honest. 

That's a bad sign when giving a gift might offend or make others feel bad. Our society has gone downhill, and I doubt it will recover. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

The earplugs idea was a joke.  Of course it would be unsafe for any driver to deafen him or herself.