Honored Contributor

Re: Getting News is expensive!

@Zoe wrote:

@sunshine45 

That's certainly an option for some.

Personally, I prefer longer form information than the short soundbites on social media. If a national news outlet posts about a story on social, it might have a paragraph of info and not the full story. So, I just prefer to read the entire story with all of the details & background so that I can make informed decisions.

But ymmv.

Knowing what I know about Meta's practices and now the instability of X/Twitter policies, I'll choose to pay ~$1.92/week to get my news. Way less than Dunkin' or Starbucks!

ETA: I also just really believe in paying professionals for their work.

@Zoe 

just a FYI.....often there are links to the entire story and not just blurbs or a paragraph or two.

BUT, i know that not all people trust, use, or understand what social media is about.

yes, i agree about paying professionals for their work. those professionals are also on social media where you can read even MORE about what is going on that may not make it to the TV, papers, radios, or magazines.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My late spouse loved to read the newspaper.  He read every page for days on end

After Covid our local paper only offered digital which was not for him.   Then, they sent offer for printed version on Wednesday & Sunday only -- the price was over $200 for home delivery for one year.

Since he so enjoyed it we'd go to breakfast Wednesdays and buy the paper then on Sunday I'd just go buy it.  I think it was $2.00 

I have no idea how much it is now I usually just watch my local news.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45

Great glad that works for you. The noise of social media feeds doesn't work for some, incluing me. (Working in the field that I do, I know far too many of their "secrets" of social media giants.)

For me, I do not see how entire articles appear on social media feeds. If a person goes to the Baltimore Sun X/Twitter page and sees a post with a link about a story they are interested in, it will just might be (and perhaps probably will be) to an article behind a pay wall. So...

Glad it works for you, though.

The post was about how expensive it has become to get news. I think we're both saying the same thing -- that it's perhaps not as expensive as perceived. $1.92/week is affordable and justifiable for me (it may not be for everyone). Think you're saying you'd rather pay nothing and lean on social media and only free links. To each their own.

ETA: My only advice is to be wary of what these social media giants interject into your view of social media. Eyes wide open...

Honored Contributor

@Zoe wrote:

@sunshine45

Great glad that works for you. The noise of social media feeds doesn't work for some, incluing me. (Working in the field that I do, I know far too many of their "secrets" of social media giants.)

For me, I do not see how entire articles appear on social media feeds. If a person goes to the Baltimore Sun X/Twitter page and sees a post with a link about a story they are interested in, it will just might be (and perhaps probably will be) to an article behind a pay wall. So...

Glad it works for you, though.

The post was about how expensive it has become to get news. I think we're both saying the same thing -- that it's perhaps not as expensive as perceived. $1.92/week is affordable and justifiable for me (it may not be for everyone). Think you're saying you'd rather pay nothing and lean on social media and only free links. To each their own.

ETA: My only advice is to be wary of what these social media giants interject into your view of social media. Eyes wide open...

@Zoe 

actually that is not what i am saying......

i DO pay for my news and it may very well be more than $2 a week if i add it all up.....2 newspapers in print and online, sirius/xm, cable tv/local tv via xfinity, amazon prime.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@granddi 

PLEASE don't rely on FB for news.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Can you please give more detail info about this $12 antenna that will pick up local channels?  I don't watch the news (I do listen to Fox Headline News in the car till it gets overwhelmingly depressing) but my husband would like to get Tyler news.  We do get Dallas/Fort Worth channels on Directv but we can't get Dallas AND Tyler.  Maybe could if we were willing to pay more.  Not sure.  We have an old 50ft tv tower but it doesn't do anything for our tv viewing since we have/use Directv.

Thanks

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

no longer have cable. We use an outdoor antenna for our local over the air stations. They provide our local news. For national,  world and political news we subscribe to sling tv. That provides us with our preferred choices. Our sling account costs $45/mon because we split the cost with my daughter. 

Harmonize the World with Barbershop Music
Honored Contributor

@granddi   We always received a daily local newspaper especially Sunday's paper was my favorite reading. We also got the USA TODAY, but our carrier brought that one the next day...kind of pointless.

We canceled the USA TODAY, the local one was ridiculouly expensive and neither had time to read it daily, so that one was canceled several years ago. 

I allow myself about 15 minutes of news a day on TV. The news is mostly bad through covid and especially now. I'm interested in the day's weather though.