Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.

@shoesnbags 

I grew up in a town of 2,500 people in Southern Illinois.  My only travel was on my bike.

Having an English pen pal was one of the most exciting things in my life.  I dreamed of meeting him some day!

When that onion skin envelope showed up in the mail, I was in heaven! 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Ooops I had to edit my post...they didn't sing what I had up initially. 😊

How about Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying instead.

@Pearlee  Now curiousity is getting to me.  What was the song you originally thought they sang?  

I didn't know who he/they were at all going by the title.  

Don't let the Sun.... definitely sounded familiar, but I had to google the Ferry Crossing.... song and yes, it too was familiar, (but boy did I have the words wrong.  lol).

I guess I'm surprised that they were such a *threat* (I'm using the word lightly) to the Beatles.  I mean the Beatles had a million songs and it seems this group only had a handful.  Strange.

Have to say, I'm not wild about the Beatles only because someone I loathed was a huge Beatle fan and, well, it just tainted them all together for me.  Like 45 years later--I immediately switch or turn off when I hear them.

I can understand how popular the Beatles are---I don't hate them!

Honored Contributor

Sad news...RIP Gerry........

I enjoyed it when PBS had a "My Music" show with groups from that era called "The British Beat" ......

THE BRITISH BEAT | PREVIEW

Travel around the UK to the places where the British Beat was born. The program features a mix of rare archival full-length performance films mixed with live performances from the Zombies, Wayne Fontana, Eric Burdon and the Animals, Gerry and the Pacemakers and many more — including sets from Chad and Jeremy, and Herman's Hermits starring Peter Noone. Petula Clark hosts. March 2018.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm  When I read the news about Gerry, the song I'm Telling You Now immediately popped into my head so in  my OP I used lyrics from that song to announce the news of Gerry's death. After I posted I Googled the song only to find out it was by Freddie and the Dreamers! So I edited my post. I don't know why I associated that song with Gerry and the P.  but I had!

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman , I forgot, did see the Moody Blues 2 or 3 times several years ago. Very good shows.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

@Witchy Woman , I forgot, did see the Moody Blues 2 or 3 times several years ago. Very good shows.

@catter70. I've been them 6 times live in concert (in my adult life, not in the early days) and Justin Hayward once on his solo tour when I met him briefly after the show.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catter70 

How could I forget the Moodys!   

Still hoping Justin Hayward will realize he should have married me! Cat LOL

Yes, I've seen them at least once I can remember.  It's quite possible I saw them again, but, honestly, I simply forget sometimes!  We do go to a lot of concerts as long as it is a smaller venue.

One day, I got in a big argument with DH about having gone to see JH THAT year at Ramshead.  I swore we didn't...and he showed me the online tickets he'd bought for my October birthday!

I felt like an idiot since I adore JH and cannot imagine I forgot about seeing him (getting old I guess.)

So, I've seen Justin H. twice as a solo.  

I love their music and seeing them was amazing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@shoesnbags 

I grew up in a town of 2,500 people in Southern Illinois.  My only travel was on my bike.

Having an English pen pal was one of the most exciting things in my life.  I dreamed of meeting him some day!

When that onion skin envelope showed up in the mail, I was in heaven! 

@Witchy Woman 

Oh you made me remember the pale blue "air mail" paper that my penpal always used!  And her first name came to me - Margaret - but can't remember her last name.  Such nice memories.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

@Witchy Woman , lucky you. The only british band I ever saw was Herman's Hermits in Atlantic City circa 1965 or so. 

Same with me, @catter70 .  Saw Herman's Hermits at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island in 1968.  Herman...a/k/a Peter Blair Dennis Bernard Noone...

@catter70 @vsm 

I was a really big Herman's Hermits fan and actually got to see them pretty much up close and personal.  When they played New Orleans, the French Quarter hotel where they were staying was mobbed by teenaged girls, moi included. 

Somehow my little group of 3 girls made it into the hotel lobby and headed for the elevators.  Then we discovered that the elevators were off limits to everyone but paying guests.  Not to be discouraged, we located an unguarded elevator that went up to the rooftop pool. Our plan was to get off up there and try to make our way down to the floor we thought our guys were staying on.  Well, the elevator doors opened to the pool area, and who did we see sunning and swimming but Herman's Hermits!  We controlled ourselves so as not to be noticed immediately and took as many pictures as our little Kodaks had film.  Then we attempted to get autographs, but we were kicked out at that point.  Still, it was a lot of excitement for a teenage girl, heh heh.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags 

Oh, you were very brave!

Something I might have done as a teenager, but would have been scared silly!

The time we saw him, I looked around at the audience and said to my husband, "Do we look as old as everyone else in this room?"  We both got a good laugh.

That's the thing you notice most....everyone is older....but, the music still sounds so good!

You have a fun memory to hang on to!  I liked HH and had the single, "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter."  Played it to death.