Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,601
Registered: ‎01-18-2012

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.

@Witchy Woman   These young lads came to London and really - as we say - didn't have a clue - so DH always looked out for them as London was very different to their home towns.  They soon caught on though.  

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,862
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.


@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Pearlee 

 

This reminded me of something that my English pen pal said to me in one of his letters. Oh, yes....we had to have pen pals that MIGHT see/know/breathe the same air as the Beatles Cat LOL

 

After a long discussion in is letter about the different groups he said something like, "of course, none of them can put a patch on the Beatles."

 

It stuck with me all these years.  I think his name was Trevor Horn! Can you imagine remembering such a thing?

 

 


@Witchy Woman. Trevor Horn!  How very English!

His thoughts were my thoughts exactly. Thanks for sharing that.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,862
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.

[ Edited ]

Sir Paul just posted on Twitter a very nice tribute to Gerry, including a photo and this comment:

"He and his group were our biggest rivals on the local scene."

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,022
Registered: ‎10-11-2017

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.

@Witchy Woman , lucky you. The only british band I ever saw was Herman's Hermits in Atlantic City circa 1965 or so. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,568
Registered: ‎09-06-2014

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.

Another great British group.  RIP, Gerry.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,592
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.


@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Pearlee 

 

This reminded me of something that my English pen pal said to me in one of his letters. Oh, yes....we had to have pen pals that MIGHT see/know/breathe the same air as the Beatles Cat LOL

 

After a long discussion in is letter about the different groups he said something like, "of course, none of them can put a patch on the Beatles."

 

It stuck with me all these years.  I think his name was Trevor Horn! Can you imagine remembering such a thing?

 

 


@Witchy Woman 

I had a British pen pal, too!  She was from Bristol, England but I can't for the life of me remember her name.  I do remember that I envied her life because she was going to all of these dance clubs and hearing the music first hand that we were all crazy about.  I was 15 and not going anywhere exciting at all lol.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 34,862
Registered: ‎06-11-2011

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.


@Pearlee wrote:

Sir Paul just posted on Twitter a very nice tribute to Gerry, including a photo and this comment:

"He and his group were our biggest rivals on the local scene."


Ringo posted something too, with old photo.

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,544
Registered: ‎05-08-2010

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.


@catter70 wrote:

@Witchy Woman , lucky you. The only british band I ever saw was Herman's Hermits in Atlantic City circa 1965 or so. 


Same with me, @catter70 .  Saw Herman's Hermits at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island in 1968.  Herman...a/k/a Peter Blair Dennis Bernard Noone...

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,544
Registered: ‎05-08-2010

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.


@shoesnbags wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Pearlee 

 

This reminded me of something that my English pen pal said to me in one of his letters. Oh, yes....we had to have pen pals that MIGHT see/know/breathe the same air as the Beatles Cat LOL

 

After a long discussion in is letter about the different groups he said something like, "of course, none of them can put a patch on the Beatles."

 

It stuck with me all these years.  I think his name was Trevor Horn! Can you imagine remembering such a thing?

 

 


@Witchy Woman 

I had a British pen pal, too!  She was from Bristol, England but I can't for the life of me remember her name.  I do remember that I envied her life because she was going to all of these dance clubs and hearing the music first hand that we were all crazy about.  I was 15 and not going anywhere exciting at all lol.


@shoesnbags  My pen pal's name was Anna. I can't for the life of me remember her last name, but oh, how thrilled I was to see that Liverpool postmark!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,367
Registered: ‎03-15-2010

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.

@catter70 

 

HH are still touring!  Saw them about 3 years ago at Ramshead Tavern in Annapolis, MD.  

 

Also saw Chad & Jeremy, Zombies and a British Reveiw headed by Peter Asher headlining many of the early groups.  That was the best to see a few members of the older groups.

 

HH were "fab" and still sweet and happy on stage.  They were touring the US frequently, so they might come to your area.