Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gerry From Gerry & The Pacemakers R.I.P.

@Pearlee 

More sad news Cat Sad

Never saw them in person, but loved their music.

Once they faded from the public scene, I didn't follow them much.  There were so many groups at the time...now, all fading away.

I feel old, today.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee   Thanks for post did not know about this.

Worked years ago with them when they came to London as a support band- not then the main attraction - cannot remember who for but do remember that DH's secretary  -  at the time - DH was still with French oil company doing music on side -  and his secretary wanted to work all the gigs too 'fell' for Gerry.  Cannot tell you what she was like! Lol.

Back in the day all these young bands were all great fun - not all went on to stardom - it seemed we always had one group or another of 'unknowns' /support groups from 'up North' sleeping in beds and on the floor in our home in London.  Great too when maybe years later they came back as main attraction.  

Yes Brit invasion on its very last legs but boy did we have fun!

Respected Contributor

This makes me so sad.  I loved his music.  May he Rest In Peace.

Esteemed Contributor

At the Cavern Club:

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman Although I liked almost all the British Invasion music, I thought of all those groups and duos as Beatles wannabes,  none as good as the Beatles. Gerry and the Ps were good but of course did not themselves write a treasure trove of wonderful music as the Beatles did. IMO there us no comparable talent.  

Honored Contributor

image.png

Well, there goes another piece of our personal history.

Godspeed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dulwich wrote:

@Pearlee   Thanks for post did not know about this.

Worked years ago with them when they came to London as a support band- not then the main attraction - cannot remember who for but do remember that DH's secretary  -  at the time - DH was still with French oil company doing music on side -  and his secretary wanted to work all the gigs too 'fell' for Gerry.  Cannot tell you what she was like! Lol.

Back in the day all these young bands were all great fun - not all went on to stardom - it seemed we always had one group or another of 'unknowns' /support groups from 'up North' sleeping in beds and on the floor in our home in London.  Great too when maybe years later they came back as main attraction.  

Yes Brit invasion on its very last legs but boy did we have fun!

I still love the music from that time so much!  I was just singing Gerry's song "I Like It" a couple days ago!

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich 

Love the idea of these young artists sleeping in your home.  I'm sure they were grateful to have a place to be.

Oh, it was the best of times, wasn't it.  Just such happy music from lovely young lads.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich. Oh what a fascinating history you have! It is one that I envy.  When I asked if you had worked with this group, I had a feeling you did. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee 

This reminded me of something that my English pen pal said to me in one of his letters. Oh, yes....we had to have pen pals that MIGHT see/know/breathe the same air as the Beatles Cat LOL

After a long discussion in his letter about the different groups he said something like, "of course, none of them can put a patch on the Beatles."

It stuck with me all these years.  I think his name was Trevor Horn! Can you imagine remembering such a thing?