Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

The first thing I'd do is to get a dog. A BIG dog. A dog who knows what it means when you say, 'get him, boy!' And if that didn't work I'd get a weapon (with a permit) and if the guy didn't stop when I told him to I'd shoot him in the foot. (this will prevent his trying it at other stores). I of course would have the whole thing on camera so I can prove ("He started it!") like I always told my parents when my brother and I were fighting. I'm an old hand at this!

@Judaline  - Yes to a dog - like a Doberman!

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Stelladorable wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

This story and the armed cop were on FOX news last night, great story and this cop is no slouch!!!

That explains it.

@Stelladorable   Explains what???  This story is on other news stations. 

I am not following your point. 

Yes - please explain your point @Stelladorable.  That explains what?

Valued Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Stelladorable wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

This story and the armed cop were on FOX news last night, great story and this cop is no slouch!!!

That explains it.

The proliferation of crime posts.

Honored Contributor

@Stelladorable wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Stelladorable wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

That explains it.

It's what's happenin'.

Honored Contributor

I think this might be a good time to dust off the old Basco, Best, Service Merchandise catalog store model for retail establishments once again. If you were around when those stores were popular, they only had sample merchandise on display, and it was typically secured to the shelves so it couldn't be easily removed. The actual stock was back in an attached warehouse and delivered by a conveyor belt to the customer.

With smartphone technology, you can simply let shoppers scan the item they want, let robots or a small workforce place the item into a secure locker for the customer to pick up, and even handle the payment electronically. Once paid for the locker is unlocked and the customer collects their purchases.

Walmart is kind of working their way there with their Walmart+ service. Instead of closing high-risk stores, they could make them a delivery-only store. No customer ever goes into the store, just store-approved shoppers collecting the items for delivery. The risk of theft decreases for the store. Supplying items from a closed store/warehouse directly to the customers would solve many of their crime issues. 

Until the crime situation gets under control, which may require an act of God at this point, intermediate steps will need to be taken.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

The first thing I'd do is to get a dog. A BIG dog. A dog who knows what it means when you say, 'get him, boy!' And if that didn't work I'd get a weapon (with a permit) and if the guy didn't stop when I told him to I'd shoot him in the foot. (this will prevent his trying it at other stores). I of course would have the whole thing on camera so I can prove ("He started it!") like I always told my parents when my brother and I were fighting. I'm an old hand at this!

@Judaline 

Where to start? I will start with "get a dog". While a BIG dog might serve well for a home, a business with substantial traffic, is a whole different situation. 

Dogs one sees as a K9 on a Police Force, are highly trained, and are not meant for protecting a business. Each are trained for specific purposes. To get a highly trained dog would not be cheap, and my guess is, they all would require regular training, maybe every day.

Then yout comment "I'd shoot him in the foot"? In theory that might sound good, but in actuality! First you would have to be a very high skilled person with a hand gun or a long gun. Then, the perp you shot in the foot, may also retaliate by shooting at you, and not at your foot.

You may be saying all this in jest, but this topic is a bit too serious to talk about lightly. 

I think hiring men/women highly trained, preferably in law enforcement, is the way to go. And them brandishing a known long gun to further emphasize why they are there. That itself would be a great deterrent to most criminals that prefer weak and easy targets to ply their trade.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Stelladorable wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Stelladorable wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

That explains it.

It's what's happenin'.

Fortunately for me and mine, we are not anywhere near where this is happening. Although, I have been a victim of crime 36 years ago, I'm not aware of any scary new increase of violent crime where I live. Same with my family, scattered mainly in the northeast and southern california. 

I would suggest a plan to leave if everyday activities have become dangerous. It's no way to live.

Honored Contributor

I am hoping that the armed guards now provide a feeling of safety for customers ... and he now has more customers that hopefully cover the cost of  the security.   

That weird PA law puts business owners at a real disadvantage!