Respected Contributor

Philadelphia gas station owner hires armed agents to patrol property

"We are tired of this nonsense," Neil Patel says. "Robbery, drug trafficking, hanging around, gangs. They are forcing us to hire the security, high-level security, state level." 

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- The owner of a North Philadelphia gas station says he took security measures into his own hands to keep his customers and employees safe.

Neil Patel hired a private security company, Pennsylvania State Agents, to patrol his KARCO gas station at Broad and Clearfield streets three weeks ago, and now he has a daily armed presence with at least two agents on the premise nightly.

"We're Pennsylvania State Agents and we're not security. Basically, what we do is security details when the public calls upon us when the police can't be there," explained Chief Andre Boyer. "We wear Kevlar, we are trained, my guards go to training every other week, they're proficient with [their guns] and with their taser, they know the law," Chief Andre Boyer said.

Boyer said when they first arrived to the gas station people took notice immediately.

"The first week there was tension from the public seeing someone with an AR shotgun walking around," said Boyer, who said some people asked,"'Why are you here? Are we in *****?'"

Neil Patel said his gas station in North Philadelphia has been vandalized and that he was moved to hire armed security after criminals stole its ATM.Neil Patel said his gas station in North Philadelphia has been vandalized and that he was moved to hire armed security after criminals stole its ATM. 

Owner Neil Patel says the crime targeting customers and his store and employees is rampant.

There was a shooting at the gas station on Easter Sunday. Patel says people are shoplifting and selling drugs daily and an ATM was stolen several weeks ago.

Patel says police don't respond in a timely manner so he had to come up with a better approach to protect lives and his livelihood.

"Selling their drugs openly. Cops here, they don't do anything. Robberies, stealings, vandlizing my car," Patel said.

An Action News analysis of Philadelphia police data shows firearm robberies at gas station have more than tripled over the last few years, and other crimes are on the rise as well.

Philadelphia-based attorney David Thiruselvam primarily represents victims of crimes. He currently has nine clients who are suing gas station owners after his clients were shot on their premises.

Thiruselvam says, by Pennsylvania law, owners must protect customers from known dangers. "When you have shootings and things like that going up and down the street, up and down around you, you should know that could come on your property," he said.

SHOCKING: Philly gas station hires armed guards to protect against theft |  The Post Millennial | thepostmillennial.comPhilly gas station hires armed guards to protect against theft.

Respected Contributor

I support that, good for them, if I lived there I'd be a customer. It's  sad that it's come to this but that's what you get when you enable those that demonize the police, weaken laws & excuse crime. 

Trusted Contributor

@MorningLover  You gotta do what you gotta do.  It's getting closer and closer to the wild west out there.  I feel bad for all these small business owners who are losing so much on theft and vandalisim.  They can only make so many claims to their insurance companies and then the insurance companies drop them and good luck getting insured again. 

Until these people are prosecuted and put away, they will just keep doing it.  Why work when you just stroll into a store and walk out with what you want including the cash register?  smh. 

Police can arrest but if the case is not prosecuted and the criminals are just released often with no bail-nothing will ever change at this point and unfortunately it will most likely escalate.  The cops have their hands tied.  And god forbid they use any kind of force on these repeat offenders.  A vast majority of these people have pages of rap sheets.  To them the candy store is wide open and free for the taking. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Gas Station Owner

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover  I also totally support this man. Things have come to a pretty pass when a business owner has to do this to protect himself, his property and his customers. 

If I were a criminal I'd give this place a wide berth. And if the police dare to use any force they get blasted by the public.

I wish him well and say good going.

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover 

Saw the interview on a news channel with the head of the company protecting that establishment, which is not only a gas station. 

This Head of the Company explained that his Company Employees are not Security Guards. They can arrest those that break the law, and also use whatever "necessary force" is needed to make those arrests. Security Guards cannot, like others, all they can do is call 911.

The owner said that in broad daylight, a person(s) came in and stole their big/heavy ATM machine, put it in a truck and drove off. Thus he decided to hire this Company to protect his property/himself/his employees, and his customers.

It's a shame this is needed for small businesses to operate, but it seems unfortunately to be the norm in too many places around our country.

What should be done about it? I know what I believe would help, but!!!

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor
It's getting to the point where you can't go anywhere these days. Smash and grabs in the city, thief's breaking into Walgreens and Chinatown and a bold break in at a famous Hand bag store in San Francisco just a few weeks ago. I won't go into San Francisco anymore because of these crimes.
Honored Contributor

People having kids that shouldn't, raised like wolves themselves. The kids repeat what they have been living with for yrs.

To lazy to work, quit school can't get hired, just screw the system then when they get old just go on Medicaid.

If I had been caught stealing back yrs. ago . I would had only done it once. I'd got the belt.

In other countries, if your caught stealing they cut your hand off, there is consequences for your actions. Here, you get rewarded.   World has gone to hale in a handbasket.

Honored Contributor

I think a lot of people are fed up with the nonsense. Even Christmas deco is being stolen off of peoples' front yards. I had stuff stolen from my yard, too. Enough! Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, this is becoming necessary.  Stores closing or having to hire security companies because they can't protect their merchandise.  One wonders at what point real changes will be enacted to protect our country,  

Esteemed Contributor

Good for him.  I wish there were armed guards at the WAWA/gas station I go to.