Trusted Contributor

Bethlehem Fairy Lights…not as advertised

I purchased 3 sets of the Bethlehem Color Flip Fairy Lights. During the presentation, the vendor said their new technology will enable them to last the Holiday Season on one battery....well, I'm here to tell you that is NOT accurate. I have them set to be on just the minimum of 6 hours per day and I've used so many batteries that I've lost count!!! They also use "C" batteries and those are pricey. I just changed the batteries this past Friday, and they are already dead....sadly, all three sets will be going back. Seems like you just can't rely on what they advertise anymore.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bethlehem Fairy Lights…not as advertised

Good information...thanks for the review @grandma petes   Happy Holidays, I hope you can find some appropriate lights to replace the BFLs.

Respected Contributor

We have used Bethlehem lights on our farm gate Christmas decorations for years and the batteries last really well.  We put them up after Thanksgiving and take them down in January.  We have two big lighted garland strands that are on light sensors, so they are on from dusk to dawn.  Of course these use 4 D batteries each, but they are wonderful.  Haven't had a problem with ours.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

Not all batteries are created equal.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh boy! You know, fairie lights can be a true battery drainer! I just purchased a very pretty lantern that was made with Stainglass; that had fairy lights in it. I fell in love with the sparkle and the beautiful colored glass. I was told the batteries would last months. Ummmm.....they lasted 2 weeks on a 4 hour timer! I've purchased fairy lights on Amazon and eBay, I've had the same result. They are total battery hogs! I'm thinking of taking the fairie lights out and putting in a Luminara candle. They last months. I can imagine your frustration. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have the same issue with almost all of the battery operated items that I have purchased from QVC.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@grandma petes  Sadly, the Bethlehem Lights strands from several years ago were better than the recent ones. The lights I've had from the past two years' purchases are terrible when it comes to battery life. Their window candles, wreathes and garlands, however, last a good long time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Etoile308 LOL  YOU TOOK MY thought right out of my brain..........

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   Ditto what you said !  I am amazed every time I bring out my old pieces - the majority being Bethlehem. Eureka, they all work (again). I'm not sure but I believe some of my pieces are 6 yrs. old. I have wreaths with lots of features - all still great. My daughter was helping me decorate and she learned some features I didn't know about. There are large lanterns and small - still good. One I accidentally left the batteries in was corroded but I dug them out carefully and installed new and all good. I have learned don't "cheapen out" on batteries but invest in good quality. It's also good to take batteries out when you put them away. I'm enjoying them and the grands love them. Happy holidays to you and yours.

Valued Contributor

I have some fairy lights that I bought at CVS to put on a18" tree that goes on top of an armoire.  This has a small green plastic battery case that holds 2 AAA batteries.

I have this tree on for about 7 hours a day and the batteries last from Dec 1 to just about New Year.

I have Luminara window tapers that run on AA batteries and they last well into a second season.  However, the Luminara votive candles EAT the c-250 button batteries faster than Joey Chestnut eats Nathan's hot dogs on the 4th of July!!!  All my batteries are Energizer Lithium batteries, so perhaps the button batteries just don't have the staying power of conventional batteries.

I do agree with the posters who have said the kind and quality of your batteries is very important.  Off-brand batteries are cheap for a reason!

The wholesale clubs al have massive displays of the big name batteries in just about any size for great prices at the holidays.