creator and  host of the Peabody Award winning

Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home

Companion."

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

Re: 🎤🎭 Garrison Keillor Signs Off 🎭🎤

@evelyner wrote:

So excited, we are going to the Hollywood Bowl to see him.  Our third time and last.

How great @evelyner! The show has such a great 

group of performers, so much creativity and talent.

Have a wonderful time!

😊

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Highlands72 wrote:

I will really miss Garrison Keillor. He is one of a kind, such a great story-teller, so clever, and so able to find the humor in situations.

I also love the way he seems to appreciate many different types of music, and finds joy in harmonizing and singing along.

Chris Thile, the new host, is a wonderful musician, but the show will certainly have a different feel without Garrison Keillor.

I agree @Highlands72. And from what I've heard

from people who get to see him in person he

genuinely enjoys and cares about his audience.

😊

Respected Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

@newziesuzie wrote:

After 42 years the show is ending but

will still  be a wonderful memory.

I wish I couldve seen it in person, I've heard

Garrison Keillor and everyone really gave

150% to each show.

Wow, 42 years!  At least for the past 15 years, I've been listening to Garrison's program.  His sense of humor, and refreshing perspective on life will certainly be missed.

"Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed . . . one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people."                                                                        - Garrison Keillor  

I know @alliswell! I was surprised how long

the show had been around. Great quote,

hes a wonderful writer imho.

😊

Respected Contributor

@Hetty wrote:

It's the end of an era.  We came to the show late by some standards, as we started listening as newlyweds in 1982, every Saturday night.  I would make homemade pizza and we would tune into A Prairie Home Companion, sometimes inviting the in-laws over to have dinner while we all listened.  We added children to the mix as the years went by and they became fans, too.  Finally, we had a chance to see a live show when they came to Detroit last year.  It will be a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, after this Saturday night.

What a sweet post @Hetty.

Nice memories. 

😊

Respected Contributor

@lovinglife wrote:

I watched the June 25th Tanglewood show online last Saturday.   The "after" show went on for nearly another 1.5 hours with all of the encores!  I have been fortunate to see the show in person.  So bittersweet...I will miss a Prairie Home Companion.  As talented as those left behind are, it will not be the same.

@lovinglife I read about the encore. I think

the audience would've stayed even longer if the

performers could've kept going lol.  I do like

Keillor's writing, sometimes poetic and kind and gentle.

He will continue to write so thats good.

😊 

Trusted Contributor

I am a huge fan of Garrison Keillor.  And had the chance to see him live and even have a good converstation with him.  Two of the performers who are often on The Prairie Home Companion and who go waaaay back with him to when they were all starting out convinced him to come to our hamlet to do a live show with him.  And no doubt have a nice visit with him.  The duo's home is not far from us and they are greatly loved here. Our venue here was packed, but with locals only as they hadn't advertised outside the area.  The venue held probably 150 people max, a far cry from where he will give his last performance.

Everyone loved the show, of course, especially with the give and take of the three friends of many, many years.  Their entire careers, really. They performed several of the old gospel songs they had all started out with, first singing together in a strairwell in NYC.  Delightful show.

All three performers hung around afterward to meet and greet, and in the case of our two local performers, chat with friends from here.

I made bold to come up and introduce myself to Garrison, and we had a very nice 10-15 minute conversation.  Somehow we got into the topic of breaking away from what we had been basically been taught to believe growing up but which we had later discovered not to be true.  I from the south and him from the Great Lakes!  But the dynamics were very similar and which led both of us to change to a different church as adults.  So our little visit was more than just chit-chat and will always be a treasured memory for me. Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Zita, what a mean post! If you don't care for him, fine--don't listen.

I know he's a brilliant, talented person.

Super Contributor

Interesting articles @newziesuzie. Had not known he considers himself on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum. Exceptional talent imo, the show won't be the same without him.

Frequent Contributor

Pic