Super Contributor

DRIVERLESS CARS Will Face Moral Dilemmas

[ Edited ]

From the article:

Driverless Cars Will Face Moral Dilemmas

"A self-driving car carrying a family of four on a rural two-lane highway spots a bouncing ball ahead.

As the vehicle approaches a child runs out to retrieve the ball.

Should the car risk its passengers’ lives by swerving to the side—where the edge of the road meets a steep cliff?

Or should the car continue on its path, ensuring its passengers’ safety at the child’s expense?

This scenario and many others pose moral and ethical dilemmas that carmakers, car buyers and regulators must address before vehicles should be given full autonomy, according to a study published Thursday in Science. ........

.... Most of the 1,928 research participants in the Science report indicated that they believed vehicles should be programmed to crash into something rather than run over pedestrians, even if that meant killing the vehicle’s passengers. ...

... Yet many of the same study participants balked at the idea of buying such a vehicle, preferring to ride in a driverless car that prioritizes their own safety above that of pedestrians.

The researchers concluded that if lawmakers were to prioritize pedestrians over passengers when regulating self-driving vehicles, people would be less likely to buy those vehicles.

A shrinking market for driverless cars would slow their development despite research showing that autonomous vehicles could potentially reduce traffic, cut pollution and save thousands of lives each year—human error contributes to 90 percent of all traffic accidents.

........ Shariff and his colleagues likewise acknowledge that their discussion of driverless vehicle moral dilemmas is a work a progress.

They launched a Web site on Thursday called Moral Machine to help gather more information about how people would prefer autonomous cars to react in different scenarios where passenger and pedestrian safety are at odds. ........."

READ ARTICLE HERE:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/driverless-cars-will-face-moral-dilemmas/?WT.mc_id=SA_TECH...

Honored Contributor

Re: DRIVERLESS CARS Will Face Moral Dilemmas

Death sparks 'Autopilot' car probe; man had speeding tickets

Fatal Telsa crash shows limits of self-driving technology

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Your decisions should be made for you.

Just another advancement in the digital age.

Respected Contributor

These cars are going to be judicial nightmares.  But I'm sure there is an ambulance chaser out there that will be glad to take these cases on!

Honored Contributor

I guess it all depends on who programs the driverless car.  Heard on the news this morning that the test driver was killed, testing a driverless car.  Back in May.  News release was today.  A semi-truck was making a wide left turn and the driverless car drove right into the middle of it, I believe.  Guessing that the test driver wasn't looking ahead or wasn't able to stop in manual mode.  Very nice looking man, too.  Very sad.   I do think that the newer generations will be so engrossed with their texting, I doubt that they will pay attention to traffic ahead of them.  The news stated that drivers should have both hands on the steering wheel while being in a driverless car.  But, seriously, who's (while texting) going to do that?  Might as well drive it ourselves............Most of the upcoming generations (and other ages, too) are addicted to texting, and I doubt that they will change their minds/addictions.  Personally, I like being in control, and trust myself more than any device that will probably be made in 'another country', anyway.   JMO, and allegedly.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Yes, that's right regarding accidents......Who's to blame in a lawsuit?  The car company or the texting driver?  Interesting...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

These cars are going to be judicial nightmares.  But I'm sure there is an ambulance chaser out there that will be glad to take these cases on!

I'm sure the family of the guy in the Tesla crash already has one. 

Driver was so confident of the car he was watching a movie when the Tesla drove under the broadside of a tractor trailer. 

The Tesla never 'saw' the tractor trailer.

Kinda like people who let their devices guide them thru daily life.

Esteemed Contributor

What's to stop a drunk from getting behind the wheel of a self-driving car?

I can see it now, people will get these cars, assume that the car will do everything, and they will be on their iPads.

The driver should be able to take over at a moment.

But, they won't, and when accidents happen, they'll sue the car maker.

People won't accept responsibility for their own involvement in the accident.

Also, I predict that people will become so dependant on the car thinking for them, that they'll forget how to do the basics of driving.

Honored Contributor

Oh, wait!  Which insurance company pays in an accident?  Will the costs be split between the company and the 'driver'?  Another interesting thought to ponder.........

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY the Tesla crash is posted in @Mz iMac's reply.

Article from her post: "DETROIT (AP) — The U.S. government is investigating the first reported death of a driver whose car was in self-driving mode when he crashed. Joshua D. Brown, 40, died May 7 when his Tesla Model S, which was operating on "autopilot," failed to activate its brakes and hit a truck in Florida.
The crash raises questions about autonomous and semi-autonomous cars, their capabilities and their limits. Here are answers to some of those questions: ... "

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20160701/us--self-driving_cars_explained-58fa536591.html