Honored Contributor

Cecil's Cubs Thriving, 1 year after his death

Reports doubting the survival of Cecil’s young and his close ally Jericho – with whom he shared territory and two prides – have regularly emerged from Hwange, the largest reserve in Zimbabwe. But these new pictures bring hope that the slaughtered cat’s offspring now have the strength and experience to survive without his protection

Basking in the morning sun and enjoying an elevated view of the territory they control, these are the offspring of Cecil the Lion - an extraordinary picture of survival 'against the odds' - exactly a year after the iconic cat was shot and killed by an American trophy-hunter.

The sight of the seven maturing cats is one few conservationists would have predicted in the wake of Cecil’s slow, agonising death after being shot by dentist Walter Palmer’s bow and arrow.

The fact that Cecil’s offspring – five females and two males by three lioness mates – are not only alive, but are clearly thriving, has thrilled staff at Zimbabwe's Hwange National Park who feared they would be killed in the battle for control of the dead cat’s pride and territory.

Professional guide Lewis Mangaba who took the pictures, paid tribute to the three lionesses who survived against ‘all odds’ to successfully raise the 18 month-old youngsters alone.

These are not ordinary lions but the success story of three lionesses that have chosen the nomadic life in the vast Hwange National Park and survived all odds to save the life of seven youngsters after the untimely death of Cecil, knowing that the survival of the cubs is crucial for the future of their own kind,’ he wrote on his Facebook page.

Palmer, from Minnesota, paid £45,000 to hunt and shoot the majestic Cecil, easily recognisable by his black mane and Hwange's biggest tourist draw card. The 12 year-old cat wore a collar and was a key part of an expensive research project monitored by Oxford University.

The shamed dentist was forced into hiding for weeks after receiving death threats following his shooting of Cecil – exactly a year ago on Friday (1 July) - which prompted an international outcry.

Reports doubting the survival of Cecil’s young and his close ally Jericho – with whom he shared territory and two prides – have regularly emerged from Hwange, the largest reserve in Zimbabwe.

But these new pictures bring hope that the slaughtered cat’s offspring now have the strength and experience to survive without his protection.

Rest in peace, magnificent Cecil!

Cecil the lion, pictured above resting in Hwange National Park, in  Zimbabwe, was killed in a hunt by American dentist Dr Walter Palmer, who paid £45,000 to hunt and shoot the majestic lion, easily recognisable by his black mane and Hwange's biggest tourist draw card

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cecil's Cubs Thriving, 1 year after his death

That brought a few tears. Aren't they just gorgeous?! Thank you for posting.

Trusted Contributor

Beautiful.  I only hope the dentist who killed Cecil will have a miserable rest of his useless life.

Super Contributor

Beautiful Cecil, still makes me cry.  I, too, hope his killer comes to a fitting end.

Esteemed Contributor

Guess I'm not the best person in this world, but I'm still hoping that that dentist gets "tortured" mentally, physically and financially until his demise, which should b celebrated to have such scum removed from this earth.Woman Tongue

However, I am very pleased and grateful for the survival of his cubs. 

Just a very sad and sickening situation.Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

thank you for the update!  I was worried that his cubs might not survive, as when a new male takes over a pride, the previous offspring are killed.

I am really happy to see those beautiful lions and that a part of Cecil lives on. 

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Regular Contributor

That is so great to hear!  I have been thinking about that lately.  I can't believe it has been a year since that horrible thing happened. 

Honored Contributor

Wherever he is, Cecil must be very proud of his pride.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Wherever he is, Cecil must be very proud of his pride.  Smiley Happy

And hopefully waiting for Dr. Palmer to have his day!

Trusted Contributor

As I am!