Valued Contributor

What is a garden party?  I have never known anyone to attend or host one, nor have I been invited to one. To me it sounds like a cookout or sitting at the patio table eating on the deck.  These hostesses continually talk about them during the maxi dress value today . Are they mostly a Southen tradition, because you are very lucky! to have such continuous lovely weather compared to those of us in the Northeast.  I know gardens are important to many residents down there. Thanks Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Garden Parties

[ Edited ]

I once attended a baby shower held at a local city-owned garden that was rented for the occasion.  It was held in the visitor center, but the wall of doors to the garden had been opened to allow guests to stroll or sit among the greenery.  It was quite lovely.

I think I remember that I did wear the only maxi dress that I own, with a matching cardigan.  Good to know I was appropriately attired.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Its a fancy name for a cookout.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

To me - an outdoor tea party.

Honored Contributor

A garden party is similar to a cookout but you don't BBQ or grill.  It's also a little bit dressy.  My wedding reception; 37 years ago, was garden party in the rose garden of our church.  I have been to a few and hosted a few,when we were in our former home.  It's tables that decorated.  Tea sandwhiches, salads, desserts, iced tea.  Whatever type of summer foods you want.  The garden parties I have been to or hosted were showers or get togethers for ladies.  And now that I we talking about them, I'd like to go to one.  Perfect opportunity to wear my new maxi!    

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree this sounds like so much fun! I want to go to one too. 😊

Esteemed Contributor

In my entire life I attended one garden party. It was probably 20 years ago, for the neighborhood ladies. The hostess had installed a new gazebo in her yard and she served a light brunch. It was fun!

A great idea for a bridal or baby shower; however, I do not require special clothing for such an event.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

A garden party is similar to a cookout but you don't BBQ or grill.  It's also a little bit dressy.  My wedding reception; 37 years ago, was garden party in the rose garden of our church.  I have been to a few and hosted a few,when we were in our former home.  It's tables that decorated.  Tea sandwhiches, salads, desserts, iced tea.  Whatever type of summer foods you want.  The garden parties I have been to or hosted were showers or get togethers for ladies.  And now that I we talking about them, I'd like to go to one.  Perfect opportunity to wear my new maxi!    

Exactly. Not a bbq. It’s “tea on the patio.” 
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Its a fancy name for a cookout.

Here in GA. no cooking at a garden party.

Finger sandwiches, appetizers, salad, desserts, fresh cut fruit, etc.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

The ones I've been to or hosted were not really 'dressy', just summery fashions (not shorts/t-shirt) and cute sandals/shoes.

If out in the sunshine, summery straw hats too. Gotta protect that face, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.